Man steals natural gas from neighbor's home..

"SCOTTSDALE, AZ - Scottsdale Police have arrested a man on multiple counts of endangerment and theft after they say he stole natural gas from one of his neighbors.

[...]

"On Saturday, the neighbor found a misplaced hose leading from his gas utility pipe to Tomasian's garage.

Southwest Gas was called and found evidence of a gas leak that could potentially explode."

w/pic of what a gas thieve looks like

Reply to
Oren

That guy's face looks a little like the faces you see when you Google "faces of meth"

Reply to
Metspitzer

I used to work for a gas utility before I retired, I heard many stories about the ingenious methods people would use to steal gas, ranging from using a garden hose to connect to a live pipe all the way to drilling a hole in the meter so that a pin could be inserted to jam the gears.

Reply to
EXT

He should have used PEX.

I put in my own gas system and ran PEX to water heater, furnace, fireplace, freestanding range and even my Generac.

Works great, easy to run and no leaks.

Reply to
Dave West

freestanding range and even my Generac.

I don't know if its legal but I used it.

Reply to
Dave West

freestanding range and even my Generac.

Pex?

Didn't you guys see the picture on the news a few years back of someone stealing natural gas from a pipeline in Nigeria.

I don't know what the guy was using, it could have been sewn together sheep bladders. But this guy had a big bag maybe 20 feet long, 5 feet wide and 4 feet high perched on top of his bicycle full of natural gas.

The only thing missing was the cigarette in his mouth.

Still, I was impressed.

Reply to
Dan Espen

snipped-for-privacy@m2g2000vbc.googlegroups.com...

lace, freestanding range and even my Generac.

Now that is truly scary for so many reasons. But then if you did it when there are legal, cost effective and perfectly workable solutions that the rest of us use, there's probably no point in trying to reason with you. But maybe you should watch what happens in the CT Xmas fire case where 5 died and the prosecutor is now deciding whether to bring criminal charges.

Reply to
trader4

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@m2g2000vbc.googlegroups.com...

freestanding range and even my Generac.

First and foremost, I agree with you. If it ain't code legal, it ain't going in my house.

However, the professionals used CSST in my 'code approved and inspected' house yet I'm hearing reports of CSST tubing possibly being ruptured by nearby lightning strikes or other surges. Some homes have even caught fire.

OTOH, I don't see static discharge or surge current damage happening with non-conductive PEX. Physical and direct sunlight damage seems to be the only issue; both of which could be addressed with careful install techniques.

Maybe a PEX install with physical damage protection would actually be a safer install than CSST?

I am unfamiliar with the CT Christmas fire. Was it caused by CSST failure?

diy savant

diy savant wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

No. It was caused by stupidity: f**king idiot put fireplace ashes in a _paper_bag_. In the house. Without any working smoke detectors.

Doug Miller

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@m2g2000vbc.googlegroups.com...

fireplace, freestanding range and even my Generac.

People seem to forget that not every area is under any sort of legal codes...

It's still a good idea to follow established reference standards even if your area does not have any legal codes though.

Reply to
Pete C.

aper_bag_. In the house.

I seem to recall that investigators thought smoke detectors might have been removed too. And the same idiot who took care of the ashes was the contractor renovating the home. Don't know about you folks, but if I were doing major renovations on a house while living in it, that would be a time I would make extra sure I had smoke detectors.

Reply to
trader4

IIRC, the working fireplace and the grand kids sleeping over, that's a bad combination. Recipe for tragic death.

.

I seem to recall that investigators thought smoke detectors might have been removed too. And the same idiot who took care of the ashes was the contractor renovating the home. Don't know about you folks, but if I were doing major renovations on a house while living in it, that would be a time I would make extra sure I had smoke detectors.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon