Can furnace gas valve solenoids be repaired/replaced?

I have a Trane XR80 gas furnace that started to act up recently. I narrowed down to the gas valve. It was getting 24V, but not opening. I lightly tapped it with a hammer, and it started working again.
Are these valves similiar to gas dryer valves? I had a problem with my dryer one time, and just replaced the solenoids, and was fixed. Can I do the same with a furnace gas valve? This is the gas valve on my furnace now:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/180658768877?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
There is a plastic cover on it which can be removed. If I remove it, will I find the solenoids?
Add pictures here
✖
As a fairly new heating guy, I'd say no. I've never heard of anyone doing coils or solenoids on a furnace gas valve. I have (once) done solenoid coils on a gas dryer valve.
I have a Trane XR80 gas furnace that started to act up recently. I narrowed down to the gas valve. It was getting 24V, but not opening. I lightly tapped it with a hammer, and it started working again.
Are these valves similiar to gas dryer valves? I had a problem with my dryer one time, and just replaced the solenoids, and was fixed. Can I do the same with a furnace gas valve? This is the gas valve on my furnace now:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/180658768877?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
There is a plastic cover on it which can be removed. If I remove it, will I find the solenoids?
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 28, 1:45 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

solenoid valves like just about everthing else go bad. althought it may test OK contunity wise it may still not work.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 08:22:48 -0800 (PST), Mikepier

Where will you find the replacement solenoids if you can get to the old ones? What will they cost you?? I'd just buy the valve and be done with it, myself - and I'm a "cheap bugger"
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 16:09:48 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Same here. The valve itself may be sticking. With gas you don't want to take chances "modifying" anything.
--Vic
Add pictures here
✖

I'm with you on this one. Especially considering they don't cost much and given the possible implications if you don't get it right.
Add pictures here
✖
replying to trader4, GG wrote: Empire quoted me $395.00 for gas valve replacement for stand alone heater. Yeeeeeeeow! Id rather tried replacing just the solenoid if i can find one, or a used gas valve.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/23/2017 6:44 AM, GG wrote:

Try eBay...I retrofitted an old "wild pilot" heater in the pump house with new safety-valve/pilot a few years ago with NOS (new, old stock) parts for about $20...

✖
On Saturday, December 23, 2017 at 9:45:45 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

f i

Also many times you can cross-reference the part number to an equivalent that's available from multiple sources instead of the "Carrier" or whatever part. That works for many motors for example.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/23/2017 9:04 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Indeed. The valve I used was just off-the-shelf White valve; nothing to do with the specific heater whatsoever.
Dimensions are pretty-much stock so shouldn't make much difference whos OP actually uses.

✖
replying to clare, Vince wrote: For my gas fieplace it's 500$ + so finding a cheaper alternative would be nice.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 00:44:01 GMT, Vince

You DO realize that was SIX YEARS AGO?????????? Nothing has changed. Suck it up buttercup!
Add pictures here
✖
On Wednesday, December 28, 2011 at 2:09:48 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Empire carries every single part down the threads if you like. As long as you get the right piece, its like rebuilding a carburetor. Some people just don't want to do it, but they're selling these parts to someone.
Add pictures here
✖

Choose the wrong part and it won't work and is a potential for danger. Gave valves and operators are not a good place to practice repairs if you don't know what you are doing.
Add pictures here
✖
On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 9:29:18 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Me, I'm still wondering how Empire, whoever they are, sells threads for a gas valve. Or anything for that matter. I haven't looked at a gas valve in awhile, but seems to me the threads are female and part of the valve body.
Add pictures here
✖
Mikepier wrote:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/180658768877?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
Similar thing happened to me.
Remove the whole gizmo from the gas line and take it to Grainger's. Say "gimme one like this". For somewhere in the neighborhood of $60, you'll be good to go.
Or, you can try disassembling the thing and see if you can deduce why the solenoid won't latch. It may be something as simple as a dose of WD-40, oil, or rust removal and cleaning.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/28/2011 10:22 AM, Mikepier wrote:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/180658768877?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
I have repaired bad solder joints on the little circuit boards on gas valves but the solenoids I've seen in the defective valves could possibly be replaced if new ones were available but because of liability concerns, I doubt that any repair company would want to do it. You may find a simple bad connection but if there is scoring or any mechanical damage to the valve, you'd be much safer replacing the valve.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
He does open the interesting question, why they sell replacement solenoid coils for gas dryer valves, but not for furnace valves?
The OP has a Trane, which opens interesting questions. I've found that often Trane parts don't interchange with other brands, so that may be a concern.
I have repaired bad solder joints on the little circuit boards on gas valves but the solenoids I've seen in the defective valves could possibly be replaced if new ones were available but because of liability concerns, I doubt that any repair company would want to do it. You may find a simple bad connection but if there is scoring or any mechanical damage to the valve, you'd be much safer replacing the valve.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/28/2011 7:28 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Trane and American Standard are sort of like Chevy and GMC. I believe it's the same overall corporation. Trane is a division of American Standard Companies. I do believe many parts will interchange. I have an acquaintance who is an American Standard dealer and was friends with my late friend GB. I'd have to ask him for sure about the number of parts that interchange. I've serviced more Trane systems than American Standard units but they're well made and cost a lot more than the less expensive contractor/builder grade systems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Standard_Companies
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 20:28:20 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

But Trane doesn't make the gas valve anyway. And it's not proprietary in any way, from what I know.
Add pictures here
✖