OT: windows backup fails with 'file not found'.

Has anyone encountered this error with windows backup :-

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file E:\MyDocuments\Photographs\2006-04-02-1959-55\. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)) Backup encountered a problem while backing up file E:\MyDocuments\SQ1_invoices\. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

I have deleted the entire directory called SQ1_invoices and its contents and it is in the Trash Directory. I no longer need these files.

I must have deleted the other directory at some point because it had become misplaced.

Why does windows backup try and back up something that I have deleted. Surely this should just be an informational message in the log file. ?.

The microsoft support item is really unhelpful regarding this error code. I only back up my data which is MyDocuments that is located in the E: partition (data only).

Thanks

Reply to
Andrew

Because it's shit. Did you know that if the backup device fills up it just silently fails? And you have to delete the old backups manually and one at a time.

Reply to
Huge

Which version of windows?

Reply to
GB

7 Professional 32 bit.
Reply to
Andrew

Who cares? Once you know it's shit why would you ever trust it again?

Reply to
Huge

I'm using W10, and it seems to manage the backup space automatically. I haven't had any spurious errors, either. Maybe, it's been improved?

Reply to
GB

Because its probably looking at a registry entry from a program that saved the data there. Run Ccleaner or a registry cleaner, reboot and then do the back up again. Its always worked for me. You don't say which version of Windows you use . I'm on 7.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I did, earlier on. I'm using Win7 32 bit (pro of course, else no free backup).

It only complains about entire directories and contents that have been backed up at least once but have since been intentionally deleted.

Reply to
Andrew

Because it's sh....

The program had a predetermined list of directories to backup. You've upset it by removing something in that list. Put it back, run the backup again (hopefully without errors) - then go inside the backup application and remove the listed directories that were the problem.

In consumer space, without fully expensed support, Microsoft (as opposed to Apple, Linux etc) habitually package their OS with really basic utilities for orientation purposes, not full 'production'. You are meant to find (and buy) better alternatives.

Yes, they give you wordpad as a freebie. Would you use that thing as a word processor? Nope. Windows Mail / Outlook Express?....

Businesses don't really rely on 'son of NT backup' if they can help it.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz