Wooden Sills with UPVC windows?

We are (sadly) having to renew the windows in our 1920s property. There are currently wooden sills in good condition in the house and we would prefer to keep these if possible when the new windows are installed. Has anyone had any experience of fitting new UPVC windows with existing sills?

Reply to
Jo

Basically they butt the window up to the wooden sill (and the wooden frame in general). Then plastic filler pieces all round the inside to make good and seal better.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not a lot of point IMO. In for a penny...

Reply to
stuart noble

Not sure whether you're talking about the external or internal sills. The new windows will be supplied with external sills, which sit on the brickwork immediately under the frame.

If the internal sills are in good condition, leave them in situ and simply butt the new frames against them - with maybe a bit of quartering to cover any slight gaps. Great care will be needed to avoid damaging the internal sills when the old frames are removed. The sills may well have a step near the outer edge, with the thin bit fitting into a groove in the wooden frame. If you're not very careful, this will break off and may well split the sill further in. If the stepped bit doesn't break off, it will probably need trimming off to allow the new frame to occupy the same space as the old one.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Ah, I didn't make that clear. It is the internal wooden sills we would like to keep. One window company has said that they wouldn't fit UPVC window frames with existing wooden sills, but others say different! We have red tiled outer sills which we have been told can stay. Knowing nothing at all about windows it's all a bit daunting!

However, thanks for your comments. Much appreciated.

Jo

Reply to
Jo

Jo,

You can fit UPVc windows upto the internal cill with very few problems (usually). You can get the odd one that's loose or splits and these are usually solved as Roger has suggested with plastic quadrant or small section cover strips.

If the sill is badly damaged during the replacement (or you want something a bit more aesthetic to go with the UPVc windows), then plastic over-sills can be fitted onto the top of the wooden ones at reasonable cost.

Personally I would forget the company that refuses to do this, as it's a simple job to do - and they may well charge the earth for fitting the over-sills (because unless they rip the old ones out [messy and usually needless], that's all they will do anyway).

Remember to choose a company that's FENSA registered, otherwise you will have to get the local council involved to issue the necessary paperwork upon completion to say the job is OK. A lot of expense and bull manure, but that's the law now (blame John Prescot).

Hope this is of some help

Cash

Reply to
Cash

We are (sadly) having to renew the windows in our 1920s property. There are currently wooden sills in good condition in the house and we would prefer to keep these if possible when the new windows are installed. Has anyone had any experience of fitting new UPVC windows with existing sills?

We had our windows replaced some years ago and the existing internal sills were left intact - any gaps being covered with a uPVC strip. The company actually advised us to keep the wooden ones as the plastic sills are prone to being scratched if you put plant pots, vases, etc. on to them. We still have wooden skirting boards, etc, so just paint the sills whenever the rest of the room is decorated.

John M

Reply to
John Miller

I quite agree there, especially as the cill on a timber window usually forms and integral part of the frame.

A bigger problem is caused by the difference in sizes between timber and UPVc materials.

A bit of filler will deal with the slight

I've tried using filler between plaster and frame but ulitmately ended fitting small section, plastic architrave to hide the joint.

That's what I meant Dave as regards to the legal niceties (I should have made that clearer) - as for defects in materials and workmanship, that's another matter.

All interesting stuff, especially when you renew with UPVc, the old box frame windows that sit behind the external wall (in the cavity) rather than between the reveals.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I reckon you could do it but you have to remove the sides from the cill some how which would probably mean removing the entire cill and you'd have to make good the ends of the cill from the jointing somehow. Though that would be coverd by the new uPVC frame sitting on top. A lot of work.

What was the problem? I hate stuck on trim bits. I'd fill a large gap (>5mm) with with plaster/polyfilla and expect a crack to appear between it and the frame, I'd then fill that with decorators chaulk, that allows for the small movements without cracking. If the orginal gap was small it would be straight in with the decorators chaulk.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Plastic internal cills are naff.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

To avoid doing the job properly, you mean.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

+1 They're a real bodge.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

This is merely your opinion. Our house, our rules.

Reply to
Tim Streater

A mix of pvc and wood isn't pretty either

Reply to
stuart noble

Depends dunnit? Our cills are white-painted wood and the uPVC filler pieces are also white.

Reply to
Tim Streater

MBQ,

Only a bodge if done in an amateurish or slapdash way - and on most window/door replacements, it's the only way to prevent the expense of redecoration.

But as in all things on maintenance works, it's the situation and client reactions that call the shots, irrespective of what you would like to do - what you do in your own property though is quite a different matter (especially when SHMBO is breathing down your neck!) ;-)

Cash

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Maybe I've been lucky or maybe I've employed a better class of fitter (when not doing it myself). I've never found much redecoration required other than moving into a house that had already been done and removing the cover strip bodges.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q