Laptop

In a moment of misguided generosity, I loaned my laptop to a friend of the wifes and after a few days the lady phoned to say that there was nothing appearing on the screen.

I got it back and found that the laptop screen went completely white when switched on. I connected it up to an external monitor and that showed a perfect image and confirmed that the laptop booted up OK.

A friend suggested that this indicates that the CFL backlight is OK and that the problem lies with either the LD screen, the video cable or the power supply to the screen.

Before lashing out 70 odd quid on a new screen, is there anything I can do to confirm it is the screen?

Also is there any tips or advice that could be offered before I embark on replacing the screen.

Thanks

VT

Reply to
Yvonne

It could be the connection to the screen. Depending on the make model etc, these are often coiled ribbon cables, coiled around the hinge, that can break after a bit. I replaced one in an Apple Powerbook a few years ago - a bit of a fiddle, but it solved the very same problem.

Reply to
GMM

My laptop fell off a coffee table, and the screen ended up all weird.

I thought the screen itself was damaged, but some fiddling about inside indicated that the cable to the screen had become a bit dislodged, and fixing it back in sorted it.

Reply to
chris French

its probably been dropped.

If it happens to be an Acer aspire 1640, ping me as I have one here that's got a scruffy case and keys missing..but whose screen works.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher