100mm flexible round hose connector

The 100mm flexible round hose connectors come in male and female, e.g.

pictures look the same to me. Obviously the threaded end for the hose is effectively female, so it must be the other end that differs.

All the other 100mm inside diameter duct connectors are male, so I'm not sure what the female is for. If it fits around the outside of the duct, well the i/d is the standard, and o/d could vary between manufacturers, so this does not totally add up.

Can anyone elucidate?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

what the female is for. If it fits around the outside of the duct, well the i/d is the standard, and o/d could vary between manufacturers, so this does not totally add up.

Or is the female one the same diameter as the duct, so that it could connect onto the end of another male connector ? I suppose that is more likely.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I would guess that it's for extending a hose. The "male" and "female" notation referring to the smooth ends which can be mated together rather than the screw threads.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

what the female is for. If it fits around the outside of the duct, well the i/d is the standard, and o/d could vary between manufacturers, so this does not totally add up.

If you look very closely, there are differences between the two. The female has half moon shapes moulded in where the thread is broken and short lengths of bump-off ridges on the nearer end half way between the stops. I would guess the half moons are stops are to prevent it being screwed too far onto the hose, while the ridges help to grip the male connector.

The male has only one visible break in the thread, while the female has two that appear to be part of a set of four breaks, probably to clear the mould tool where it forms the stops. In addition, the male looks to be slightly smaller in diameter, which is what I would expect if it is intended to plug into the female. Being smaller and therefore having a step between thread and connector would also mean it does not need separate stops to prevent it being screwed too far onto the hose.

Presumably, using them as a pair enables you to extend the hose.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar