Quick (temporary) fix for frameless specs

I wear a pair of frameless specs, and one of the lenses has cracked slightly so the arm fixing is loose. Obviously a new pair is needed. Rather than resort to my backup pair, which are a slightly older prescription does anyone know a a substance that could be used to bodge a repair ? Instinct is make up a splodge of araldite, and smear the join with that, but someone here might know of a more suitable fix ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

What is the stuff used by windscreen repair firms? It is supposed to have the same refractive index as glass. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Your lenses will be a form of perspex - for which the solvent/glue is acetone - nail varnish remover. But I would go into an optician, they will have a fixative.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

I?d second a visit to the opticians. Failing that, if the lenses are plastic then superglue, being very careful not to get smears on the lens. If glass then you can get an acrylic glue from places like B&Q which is designed for glass and photo-cures ? a tiny drop in the joint and hold up to the sun for a minute or so. Araldite is too messy and too slow to harden for that job.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

I'd start by trying to mould Blu-tack or the like on the grounds it is (i) flexible and (ii) totally reversible (ie removeable) . But then I''m not bothered about my appearance - and a good job too.

Reply to
Robin

Methylene chloride would be good, It will solvent weld a lot of plastic but you may have trouble getting it in the nanny country.(it is the stuff that you lot are banning that is in paint remover).

Reply to
F Murtz

You could try the Jack Duckworth method. BandAid?

Baz

Reply to
Baz

does your houshold insuarance cover this? Mine did when a lens cracked. I actually got a complete new pair since they weer photochromic and the opticiam said you can mix old and new lenses.

Reply to
charles

Never thought of that - thanks.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

As has been pointed out, the superglue fumes will fog the lens, and wreck it.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I thought most lenses were polycarbonate? With some based on a urethane monomer. And maybe some other formulations.

Reply to
polygonum

Thanks for all replies. All being well, a tiny blob of fast-set araldite has done the trick. In fact it's almost unnoticeable ... tempting to keep it as a permanent fix.

It was SWMBO idea to have rimless frames ... got my first pair last year and managed to break them within a month :( They got dropped on the wooden floor, and where the arm fixes they broke. However, yesterday, I came across them in the cupboard, so with aradite mixed up, I tried a repair there. It's a strong bond, but because the damage was a little worse, I can see a faint shape of the blob in the corner of my eye. Still, as a backup pair, they're fine.

I'm pretty lucky because I'm only slightly short-sighted. Technically I don't even need glasses to drive, I just choose to because it's more comfortable. That's part of the problem - I'm forever taking glasses off/ putting them on during the day.

I emailed the online company I got them from, enquiring if they could supply a duplicate from the original order. They must be doing very well, because 24 hours later, I still haven't had a response.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In message , Geoff Pearson writes

Why do some people completely fail to understand the question asked?

Reply to
geoff