Is it possible to connect a garden hose to a shower hose?

Can anyone suggest a method for connecting a garden hose to a shower hose?

I have traditional style mixer taps with a shower hose attached see -

I would like to connect a garden hose either to the shower output part of the tap or to the shower hose itself.

Can anyone suggest the fittings to use? - the standard fittings in the shed garden centres don't seem to do the job.

Many thanks.

Fiona

Reply to
Fiona Reid

There aren't fittings that will do the job, unfortunately. You might be able to get a threaded (male) fitting, the same as the end of the shower head that fits on the shower hose, that will fit on 15mm pipe (solder or compression fitting). If you could get the 15mm pipe down the end of a bit of hose that would give you a converter.

=========[]======]]]]]]]]]]]]{}]]]]]]]]]]

Shower 15mm hose coupler hose hose pipe

The short length of hose with a standard hose connector one end and the 15mm pipe (with threaded fitting on the end) at the other would be your converter, leaving the normal hose untouched.

That's how I would do it but you may have been contemplating rather less work!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Not really a problem. A standard shower hose uses 1/2" BSP threads. A standard outside tap - to which you would normally attach a garden hose - has 3/4" BSP threads on its output - but some have 5/8" BSP or even 1/2" BSP threads.

If you buy a hose/tap connector (Hozelock, Gardena or whatever) from a hardware shop or garden centre, it will be designed to screw onto a 3/4" tap. BUT it will probably also be provided with 5/8" and 1/2" adaptors. If you can get one with a 1/2" adaptor, this will screw straight onto your shower fitting in place of the existing shower hose. [If it doesn't come with an adaptor, you will need to buy a brass 3/4"BSP to 1/2"BSP reducer from a plumbers merchant - but you may have more difficulty getting it to seal on the shower fitting because it won't have rubber washers like the plastic adaptor would.

Incidentally, the mind boggles as to why you want to extend your shower into the garden!

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

I was thinking of having an outside hot tap myself. Very useful with a hose for washing the car or filling a paddling pool.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Or bathing the dog.

Reply to
TimM

Sorry, I didn't think of any of those uses - I assumed that the OP wanted to make an exhibition of herself .

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

Someone at work has indeed installed an outside doggie shower.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'm not sure but isnt this a recipe for trouble? Your cold usually comes through at higher pressure than hot, and with a relatively high impedance long hose on the end the cold is liable to flow back up the hot supply pipe, resulting in backward water flow thru the hot system, and hopefully appearing at the overflow. If youre less fortunate, appearing on the downstairs ceiling.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Well, my hot water is mains pressure. Any outside tap (or shower fitting capable of reaching a bath, basin or shower tray) should have a double check valve fitted to prevent backflow.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hmmm....this might be a workable alternative to clamping a hose connector to one of the bath taps when we fill up one of our waterbeds. Power shower pump tends to blow the connector off now and then.

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Thanks for all the responses, I'd never thought about taking a shower outside before... ;)

Actually I'm planning to use the hose to wash the car - the bathroom is the most logical place to connect the hose (it's closest to the front door) and if the adaptor leaks/comes off the water will land in the bath. I have a combi boiler so the hot water is coming via the mains supply. I will most likely only use the hose with cold water (mains pressure) and connect it to a shower hose via a flow-return valve so that should avoid water going back through the hot water pipes (hopefully).

My car will be happy now that it can finally have more than one bath a year...

Fiona

Reply to
Fiona Reid

If you traded it in for a SmartCar you'd be able to take it in the shower with you! ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

On 01 Dec 2003, PoP wrote

Just make sure you protect the back of it...you don't want to get rust on yer wind-up key, y'know...

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Roger, thinks "kids" + water + outside... get it?

Reply to
Tim

I expect the kids have done their O levels by now or possibly even headed off to university ...

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

What he said, 1/2" BSP, no problems.

However, note the hose isn't designed to take hot water, it will soften and will split or the connectors will be liable to come apart if there's much back pressure (finger over the end, kids spraying each other).

Keep the water temperature as low as possible and avoid any spray type thing that can shut the flow off completely, even if only in rotating the jets.

Reply to
Onetap

Yup, not heard from Christian around these parts for years...

Reply to
John Rumm

On 20 Jun 2014, Onetap grunted:

As the owner of a Labrador Retriever I'll take a wild guess...!

A quick look on ebay throws up a proper 4m shower hose:

...and you could use two back-to-back with an adapter:

Lobster

11 odd quid? ouch!

I prefer

ebay 110763298338 £2.19 posted :>)

Ah the wonder of the interweb and an open mind....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

replying to Bob Mannix, techmans wrote: Your adapter is Meinor 60Z 1/2; , 1/2" NPT(M) to GHT (M).

Reply to
techmans