Correct abrasive wheel for grinding bearing track?

To replace a bearing I need to first remove the old bearing inner from the shaft. There is almost nothing for a puller to grip so propose to weaken the track by grinding it and then fracturing with a chisel.

For this application, what is the correct abrasive wheel for a bench grinder, Fine Grey, Green, Pink or White?

I read something about the harder the material the softer the stone?

Roger

Reply to
Roger R

Whichever one your bench grinder already has fitted. It's hardly going to make a rat's arse worth of difference for a single bearing race. An angle grinder with a cut off disk would probably be the better tool anyway. It might come off if you belt the back of it with a blunt chisel first though.

-- Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Dave Baker

It's a car wheel hub so I can't really get behind it because of the wheel flange. I was thinking of using the bench grinder to give more control over the work, but the hub is too large to bring to the bench wheel without removing the work rest, negating its advantage.

Your suggestion of using the angle grinder may be more suitable giving greater control with the hub in the vice.

Just on the point about abrasive materials, my existing bench grinder wheel -coarse grey -is worn down and I thought to get a new one, but notice green wheels are twice the price of grey ones. Any advantage for general grinding apps?

Roger

Reply to
Roger R

If that's the way you want to do it I'd have though a die grinder would be best for the job. Have you thought about welding a bit of steel onto the race to give you something to hit/pull on?

Reply to
Rob Morley

The job is done successfully now.

In the event I used the bench grinder to remove the larger part of the material, tranferring the hub to the vice, getting in the corner and finishing with an angle grinder (150 mm type fitted with a very thin -just

1mm- Draper cutting disk) stopping when the sleeve was thin enough to go blue. A tap with hammer and chisel cracked the race and it could be lifted off by hand. No damage to hub shaft.

Thanks for the replies.

Roger

Reply to
Roger R