Correct Grade of Abrasive to Use?

Hi,

I am looking for advice on the correct grade / type / manufacturer of

1/2 sheet abrasive to use with my sander to do things like smooth filler after filling in holes when I have moved sockets, or preparing a wall for emulsioning after removing wallpaper? I always seem to end up with the paper clogged with paint and filler long before it is smooth. Perhaps I am using too fine a grade (120)? What about the different types, silicon carbide, aluminium oxide, etc?

Thanks, BraileTrail

Reply to
BraileTrail

Filler is great for clogging paper, whatever grade you use. Using a perforated sheet with an extractor helps. I tend to use 80 for coarse, then either 120 or 180 for finishing (sometimes 240 for really smooth).

Reply to
Grunff

120's far too fine. Your experience confirms that. I used 60 on filled plaster on an orbital, worked perfectly. To my surprise it didnt clog either.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton