Grinding adhesive off of concrete?

I've got a level area of concrete that had carpet glued to it. We stripped the old carpet off. But what was left was a thick layer of adhesive that is

1/4" thick in some spots. We had a 5000 PSI pressure washer in here to do some other work, and we tried to blow the adhesive off with that, but it was a no-go.

It's there a tool for removing adhesive off of concrete that I could attach to my angle head grinder? Or has anyone got another idea as to how to remove this adhesive?

Thanks in advance.

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley

What do your walls look like now?

-- Oren

Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Reply to
Oren

Walls? The walls are fine, white and clean after being painted. It's the concrete floor that now needs the work to remove the adhesive.

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley

Excuse me. It sounded like you brought 5000 PSI sprayer in the living room and then used it....so I asked.

Many scrapers are available to painters, tile and flooring guys. Get a sturdy-stand up variety and buy a pack or two of blades to fit.

-- Oren

Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Reply to
Oren

Rent a flooring stripper with a concrete blade. It's pretty much a walk behind motorized scraper. The blade is only about 6" wide, so it will take a while, but it's not hard work. The motor does all the work.

Here's an example:

They show it removing tile, but it will remove the adhesive too.

HTH,

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

I should had mentioned the surface is outdoors so I can make all the mess I want. It's a small area 8ft x 16ft. I may try just using scrapers and some heat.

Thanks.

Lesley.

Reply to
Lesley

It did help. And thanks.

I also found a wheel for my grinder that is about $160.00 and made for this type of work. I cannot spent that much on this job (budget). I'll look into the machine you posted.

First I will try heat and a sturdy scraper and some patients and maybe this will work.

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley

Elbow grease is cheap; for now, anyway.

Ask yourself the type adhesive to OP is removing? I have not a single clue - using Norton ClueFinder 2007.

-- Oren

"I didn?t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Reply to
Oren

That's a good question. And I don't know. Like I said, I tried a 5000 PSI with a turbo head on the the wand and it would not even budge it. But it is an adhesive. It looks yellowish in colour. But I don't think it's contact cement.

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley

I don't think grinding is going to work very well. I once saw a chap try grinding off the paint on a parking lot so it could be re-striped in a different orientation. Utter failure. After MANY hours.

See, the paint (in his case) or glue gets below the texture of the concrete. To get all the clue off, you'll have to get the concrete down to a mirror finish!

I'd scrape as much as possible. If that wasn't enough, look at a chemical solution.

Reply to
HeyBub

The color makes me think it would be easy to work with. I mean this is not a tar substance, by color.

Start with a light solvent... not an expert in this regard.

Post a picture on a web site..for all to see.

-- Oren

"I didn?t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Reply to
Oren

Weed burner?

Stormin Mormon

They just had an update, might want to check for downloads.

Love your tag line. Really good.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

USe a flame spreader on a propane torch to heat the glue (assuming its mastic) and scrape it off while its soft. Then use the high pressure washer to remove the remainder. It wont look pretty.

Reply to
jmagerl

I'm going to use a propane torch tomorrow. And a sharp scraper (I have 2 of them). When I get it scraped off flat, then I have some very abrasive 4" sanding discs I will put on my grinder. I think the discs are the coarsest you can buy. I'm sure I can get it down flat, level and smooth without too much fuss. I just want to paint it later.

I'll let you all know how I made out tomorrow.

Thanks.

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley

JASCO makes an adhesive remover. It's like their paint stripper... works pretty well but be sure to pkrotect your skin cause it will burn the skin like crazy.

Reply to
Kate

Thanks, Kate.

I tried heat and a scraper. That worked. But concrete being porous I could not get the glue from the small holes in the surface of the concrete. I think what I will have to do a buy a diamond concrete grinding wheel for my grinder and create a brand-new surface on the concrete. That way when I paint, I should not see too many imperfections. I've done concrete grinding before. It's nasty, but it works.

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley