Will a Concrete Grinder Remove 1/8" Thinset?

I have 1,300 sq. feet of thinset left behind after removing the tile. It's patchy in some places but mostly there. Will a walk-behind concrete grinder remove this stuff? I thinking of the kind Home Depot rents.

Scott

Reply to
Skaught

This is not to answer your question. I am just curious why you removed that many of ceremic tiles, which are supposed durable. I am thinking of laying similar number of 12" ceremic tiles in my basement.

Skaught wrote:

Reply to
Usenet User

What kind is *that*?

Why it would know the difference between thinset and the concrete. That is, why would it grind just one and not the other? You want a planer.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I'm interested in the same subject, but I want to know if a 3/8" by 3/8" notch trowel for the new thin set will smooth over 1/8" ridges on the underlying slab.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

A true concrete grinder WILL remove the thinset with little difficulty. I recently used a five (5) inch diameter concrete grinder wheel in a angle grinder to remove thinset from 87 square feet of sidewalk.

The wheel consisted of diamond impregnated 'segments' about

1/4 inch thick and welded around the periphery of the wheel.

When I checked at my local Home Depot, all they had was a machine for removing glue from concrete. The 'wheel' had several carbide inserts for the cutting action which I did not think would work very well on my sidewalk. Carbide is extremely brittle and I could visualize then shattering upon hitting a crack or whatever.

Good luck! Incidentally, there is a local shopping mall where thousands of sq. ft. of tile were removed and replaced. Unfortunately, all the work was done during nights and I was unable to observe any of the machinery used.

Reply to
Lurker

I removed that many because they were small (6") and ugly, and made the house look like a giant shower. I'll be replacing with 18" tile.

Scott

Reply to
Skaught