Concrete Grinder vs. Self leveling

I am doing some remodeling work. The house had an addition put on some time again, guessing about 25 yrs. I removed a wall between the two and wish to install parquet floor in, the problem is that the concrete does not transition smoothly from one room to the next. There is about an inch difference in elevation. Would it be easier and cheaper to grind down the high spot, or buy some self leveling compound and just flash the floor with that. It seems that the self leveling compund would be rather expensive, do to the coverage area that needs to be fixed. Let me know your thoughts.

Reply to
jmmybear730

???? Is there a hump at the transition point, or is the floor simply higher on one side of where the wall used to be? (and I hope you didn't remove a load-bearing wall without adding something back to hold up that part of the roof structure...)

If one of the floors is simply at a different level, but the floors are otherwise level, I'd infill with layers of backer board or even plywood over felt, and use fiber tape and leveling compound at the transition point so a crack doesn't telegraph through. Is the parquet you were planning on rated for use on concrete? You may be looking at putting down underlayment anyway.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

I'm not expert at laying tile, but the expert I hired during a renovation always made his first project to absolutely level the floor. In one room, a newly enclosed ex-patio, one end had to come up about two inches on one side. He won't do a tile job without first precisely leveling the floor, and his final results are beautiful.

Given that, if you want a quality job you'll have to level the addition anyway, so you might as well level it with the adjacent room. -- Regards

Reply to
JimR

The finished prod can never be better than the base, do the base right and the rest will follow. A commercial grinder is used to remove trowel marks, not irregularities. It is expensive and ackward to use a grinder.

Reply to
Slim Bastard