backerboard over leveling compound

I am remodeling a half bath and have a problem that the floor has a hump in it. The room is 63" x 72" with the high spot near the center and a 1/8 to 1/4 inch drop nearly all the way around the walls. I have sanded the hump down to this level (it was higher) and do not want to thin the plywood more. I have read the threads on self leveling compounds and durarock like applications but my question is can you use durarock over the self leveling compound. When I drive the screws through the durarock through the compound into the subfloor will it mushroom the compound underneath such that you have stress concentrations and thus cracks in the future. I want to put tile over this. Any help or suggestions would be welcome.

Reply to
mew

You have to thinset the backerboard ( durock) to the floor.( plywood subfloor) I use a 3/8" by 3/8" trowel. I do not use screws I use 1 1/4" roofing nails the thinset will hold it down. You can also use the thinset to level the floor While installing the tiles

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Yes, use thinset under the durarock. Thinset will bond the durarock to the plywood. You only need screw/nails in a few places to keep it from sliding around as you work on the next sheet. I find it is less messy to level the durarock first (Thinset under it) rather than trying to level the finished tile install. Either way will work.

Reply to
calhoun

Thanks for the advice. I will use thinset under the durock as you suggest.

Reply to
mew