Wallboard Joint Compound

It looks like I've done something stupid. I used wallboard joint compound to repair a hole in drywall. Everything went well in the application and sanding process. Now, a few days later, there are spider cracks in the compound.

Should I have used spackling instead? Do I have to remove all of the joint compound (sanding) and start all over?

If wallboard joint compound cracks this easily, what good is it? The wall is dimensionally stable.

Reply to
mcp6453

If you didn't replace the hole with a piece of drywall and compound over it, then you filled the hole with compound. When it is this thick you will have slow drying and cracks. Don't worry, just add a layer of compound over what you have done, providing it is smooth or sanded smooth, and fill the cracks. You should be good to go, even if you need another layer. Keep the surface smooth so you don't build up a hump.

Reply to
EXT

Joint compound shrinks and cracks form -- depending on the thickness of the material that you applied. That's no big deal.

There are other types of material that you could possibly have used, depending on what type of hole you started with, etc.

But, since you have the job mostly done, and the only real issue seems to be the cracks, you can probably just give it another coat of joint compound to fill in the cracks etc. And, in some cases, you may need a third coat after that if the second coat cracks. Then sand it and you're done.

Reply to
TomR

You should sand or chip it back a little, put a small film of joint compound on it( like glue, and then use a piece of paper or fiberglass tape. Then coat it and level it out before sanding... You have puttied up too big a space at one time, without a restraining membrane, and it shrunk a little bit and cracked. Not a big thing.... Just think about my first paragraph and figure out the next move..... Generally, anything over an inch or so should have a membrane, whether a piece of drywall, or some tape, as a stabilizer against shrinkage..... It isn't a big problem.... Live and learn.... Good luck.

Reply to
Robert