self leveling "concrete"

I have a question about self leveling "concrete". Is that even what it's called? Actually I imagine what I am referring to is some kind of epoxy based material. I've heard of a material that you can pour on a floor to better prepare it for tile or vinyl floor covering. Has anyone used this? What are the pros and cons to using it? I don't know anybody who has used it but I remember seeing a reference to it, a few years ago, in a home improvement magazine.

TIA

Reply to
GFRfan

I believe what you are talking about is leveling compound and it is not concrete or self leveling.

If there is ANY imperfections on a floor where you are going to use vinyl flooring, it will soon show through the vinyl if you don't use the leveling compound first. This would include slight imperfections where one sheet of subfloor meets another.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

There is..or at least was, a product out a few years back that was a self leveling concrete. basically, you applied a bonding agent to the floor, tape off any areas under cabinets, doorways, holes, ect...and then just pour this "concrete" mix on to the floor. The stuff flows like water and just finds its own level. If I remember correctly you have to wait a day before you walk on it or set tile down. I used to hear a lot about this product a few years back but not recently. I remember it being very expensive, not sure if it's around still.

good luck

Reply to
Mzone719

I found plaster of Paris on my slab when I removed the linoleum. This is probably fine and might even have been standard practice back in 1970 when the linoleum was installed. I think it would be hard to manage over a large area, however.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Self leveling concrete is a thick slurry concrete which will level as is settles. My builder did a terrible job on my basement floor and ended up pouring a layer of self leveling contrete over the existing. I watched the process and it did just what the name implies. They did not have to be terribly perfect when smoothing the concrete, it just leveled itself out.

Reply to
Rob-J