self-leveling underlayment

To fill out some dips in my floor prior to installing laminate, I visited the local hardware store for advice. They sold me a bag of "Mapei Ultraplan 1" self-leveling underlayment. The bag instructions laid out only the water-mix ratio for mixing the entire bag. Since I didn't need that much, I visited the web site to get clues on how to mix smaller batches.

In reading the technical documentation, I wasn't much further ahead in understanding how to mix a partial bag. But, one thing I noticed was the direction on where you can apply the product. It can be applied over a playwood sub floor like mine, but only 1.5" in thickness. Mine is standard 1/2 inch.

The product I used in another room of my house was "Lepage Poly Underlay" - it had no such subfloor thickness prescription (the store was out of this product, which is why I ended up buying something different)

I'm guessing that the 1.5 inch limitation on the Mapei product is there for a reason, and I'd be better off not testing that limit. I should go back to a product that meets the specs of where I am installing it.

Dissenting votes?

Reply to
LorneS

berkshire bill

I suspect the 1.5" requirement is because the cement based self leveling underlayment won't hold up if the subfloor flexes, which 1/2" and even 3/4" is prone to do. I think you'll find the thin section of the underlayment will crack and turn to powder when the subfloor flexes. You might be better off laying a layer of 1/4 inch underlayment or hardi-backer instead of using the self-leveling compound.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin