Thinset & sand INSTEAD OF concrete?

Dear Readers,

I've a 3/4 bag full of thinset that I'm not going to use. And I have mason's sand. And I've got to pour some footings for a small fence in my backyard. Can I mix the two and use instead of buying concrete?

Theodore

Reply to
millinghill

If you are just setting fence posts it will work but for anything structural it is not going to be strong enough.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes.

FYI...

mortar = cement and sand concrete = mortar + crushed rock (or gravel, crushed rock is better) cement = something that sticks other things together

Reply to
dadiOH

I agree, but...

What you should do is chuck both bags in the garbage and buy fast curing fence post setting concrete. Your own labour is worth considerably more than the materials you use, and so it's foolish to compromize the quality of your work by using inappropriate materials to save money. You're only screwing yourself.

Reply to
nestork

Scrounge up some gravel to add and you'll have concrete.

Reply to
jamesgang

I agree to use the correct material. For $10 worth of concrete why risk having to re-do the job later? But I disagree with tossing the thinset in the garbage. Stop being wasteful. Someone can use it. Put it on Freecycle, or sell it on Craigslist for a couple bucks, and apply that money to buying the right stuff.

Reply to
mancave