SDS adapter for rotary drill

Hi, is there such a thing as an SDS adapter so I can use an SDS chisel in my Black & Decker drill?

Reply to
Rob

SDS chisels etc are designed to be used with a rotary-stop enabled SDS drill. This means it hammers without rotating the chisel.

Does your B&D drill support rotary stop? If not, then even having an adaptor wouldn't help.

David Hearn

Why?

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

No.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If your drill's an ordinary rotary drill, or an ordinary hammer drill - no. If your drill's an SDS drill, you won't need an adaptor; so it isn't; so 'no' again.

Cheapie SDS drills are now down to 25 quid; at that price they're heavy and don't last long, but they still beat the pants of 'ordinary' rotary hammer drills in hard materials like concrete. The 'SDS chisel' function is less succesful - particularly in the cheaper models, the weight of the drill itself (often about 7lbs!) makes it tiring to use for long and difficult to control. For 'serious' work you'll often do better drilling first to create a line of weakness, and then taking either the SDS chisel to it, or the old lump hammer and cold chisel.

HTH - Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

No!

You can only use an SDS chisel in SDS drills which have a Rotary Stop -allowing you to use hammer action without rotation. They don't all have this. Ordinary B&D drills *certainly* don't have this - so if you had some sort of chuck adaptor which would hold the chisel, it would then spin round at upwards of 2000 rpm - which ain't what you want!

Reply to
Set Square

The cheapie Screwfix one (which you're probably talking about judging by the description?) is now down to 19.99 which is a no-brainer for anyone who isn't really convinced they want or need an SDS drill, or just want one for very occasional use. I've had mine and used it regularly for about 18 months; I've successfully ripped up concrete floors and demolished walls with it and its still going strong. I'll freely admit that I can't wait for it to expire so I can justify buying a better one (esp lighter, with proper rotostop)! but within the constraints described above, I'd strongly recommend it.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Lobster wrote

I do that as well. I often buy a real cheapo power tool to see if I get on with it or not. If I like it I'll buy a better model.

My current Nu Tool SDS is great, but weighs about half a ton, when it dies I'll upgrade it.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

I find my cheap B&Q 5kg one beats the pants off my 2.5kg DeWalt for knocking things down and is less tiring doing so provided you wear ear protectors to avoid hearing the painful shrieks from the gearbox.

Reply to
Mike