SDS Drill...

Anyone seen any better deals/recomendations than the following?

bargain at £90 ? 2Kg SDS Plus Rotary Hammer 240V * 620W * Variable Speed & Reverse * Safety Clutch * 3-Mode * Drill, Hammer & Rotary Stop * Carry Case * 3 Year Manufacturer's Guarantee

5 Piece SDS Drill Bits Accessory Set: 1 x 5.5 x 160mm, 1 x 7 x 160mm, 1 x 8 x 160mm.1 x flat chisel. 1 x pointed chisel.

Cheers Pete

Reply to
gymratz

I bought the 2-24DFR model several years ago (exactly the same, but they include an interchangeable 3-jaw chuck).

Has given me absolutely sterling service despite being pushed and abused many times.

I did have to strip it down because of a problem with the hammer select switch, but I suspect that was a very one-off incorrect assembly.

Reply to
dom

Blue Bosch at that price & spec - go for it before they sell out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That's pretty good. I have one of the Bosch 4kg SDS drills and have been very pleased with it.

The one that you are looking at has all of the important features....

Reply to
Andy Hall

That is a very good deal for the money. I would guess that Bosch are about to replace that model with the 26DFR version, hence get it while you can.

Reply to
John Rumm

Looks an excellent deal for this class of SDS - a reasonably lightweight one that won't tire you out when chasing walls etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you are tight for cash or like me are a light user, then Lidl or Aldis have a good one at under =A340 - I got one from there 2 years ago with a 3 jaw chuck and 10, 12 & 14mm drill bits (more useful sizes IMO). I've done a garage extension and a workshop rebuild and it's been great.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Just got one on order

:¬)

Cheers all Pete

Reply to
unknown

I do have a super-beast 4 or perhaps 6 Kg which I bought for £20 from Makro a few years back. Unfortunately it's just too heavy for the up current job and I plain old SDS bits are hard to come by. Not to mention the amount of grease it now uses.

I'll still keep it for more serious "abuse 'till it dies" work but it's served it's purpose well and kept me strong.

:¬)

Cheers Pete

Reply to
unknown

Yes, it's something many first time SDS buyers don't consider - the weight of the thing. A heavy one is fine for braking up old garden paths but will soon become a literal real pain if chasing into walls, drilling into concrete ceilings, etc. And unlike many things, the lighter ones of a given performance tend to be at the expensive end of the range.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a similar one but a 110 v and it is absolutely excellent. Glad you chose to go for it. You won't be sorry. Keep an eye out for sds bits wherever you go. They can be quite expensive. But there again they too are an excellent tool to have compared to the old fashioned stuff.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

snipped-for-privacy@hall.nospam declared for all the world to hear...

What *does* SDS mean? I've been meaning to ask for ages!

Reply to
Jon

In literal terms, the original German translated to something like "Insert, twist, lock" IIRC.

In practical terms:

John Rumm

Die Abkürzung SDS stand ursprünglich für Steck, Dreh, Sitzt, wird aber heute international als Special Direct System bezeichnet.

The abbreviation SDS stood originally for insert, twist, stay, however today internationally it is known as Special Direct System.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not according to a huge hand written poster in my local B&Q - which claims that SDS stands for 'Super Drill System'

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ah but that's the PPPoo version.

I expect that Bosch have trademarked the other descriptions.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well, the 'D' doesn't refer to drill as I've got a Bosch SDS jigsaw. It refers to a tool-less bit change mechanism. So nothing to do with the 'hammer' mechanism either. But like many such things the actual usage has changed - most now mean it to refer to the drills which use SDS bits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is my exact drill. I've had it a few years, cost me £150 and is possibly the best/ most usefull tool I've ever bought.

Reply to
FKruger

:¬)

Nice to have so many recommendations for it. Do you have to put grease into the piston chamber as I do on my £20 beast or is it maintenance free like a traditional fuel.

Reply to
unknown

I think I've greased my GBH2-24 once since I bought it in 1999, though I am careful to keep the coupling ends of the bits reasonably clean and not to leave the chuck without a bit in it if there's builders dust about.

Reply to
dom