SDS drill

My Black and Decker, which has served me well for many years despite much abuse, has finally fallen apart.

From searching through uk.d-i-y it looks like I should really replace it with an SDS drill and Bosch and Makita, plus a couple of less well known brands, are the ones to go for.

Screwfix have a Bosch GBH2-20SRE at £79.99 (less 3% if I go through Quidco). Has anyone any experience of this drill? Or is there another make/model currently available which I should look at?

I should add that £80 is pretty much as much as I would want to pay.

TIA.

How often do you use it? Once an hour, day, week, month, year?

If towards the right, get the cheapest SDS you can get, preferably with a few bits thrown in.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Yup that looks like a good choice... they also have:

money a bit more power but shorter warrenty.

Reply to
John Rumm

As far towards the right as I can get away with!

However, my father taught me the value of getting decent tools so I don't mind buying 'better' than I 'need'.

Just found a Makita HR2020 at

more power and higher speed but more ££ - £91.28 inc delivery. Free bits though! Screwfix have it at £99.99 inc 'free' delivery.

Lawson-HIS have a 'replacement' for the Bosch GBH2-20SRE but I can't see what the difference is for the additional £9.

Decisions, decisions!

So, so spot on!

As for which one, you really won't go far wrong in that range. The only downside to the GBH2-20SRE is it has no roto-stop, so you can't use it for chiseling. This is a very useful feature. As such, the D25003K is a better buy at that price.

Reply to
Grunff

I wondered about that - Screwfix are really very mean with their descriptions.

However, I managed to find 'The new impact mechanism delivers faster drilling progress. Other advantages include : drilling diameter in concrete 24 mm, rotation stop for chiselling, forward/reverse rotation, electronic control, safety clutch. Sliming design for easier working' on

the reference to rotation stop what you meant?

Does the above change this?

Yes, it is. Interesting. Looking at the pdf manual on the screwfix site, it appears it does have roto-stop.

Well, I have the DeWalt (actually, its immediate predecessor, the DW566), and am very happy with it. It's done a lot of hard work, and is still going strong. Would I buy another one? Definitely. Would you be unhappy with the Bosch? I doubt it - I'm pretty happy with all my blue Bosch tools.

Reply to
Grunff

Carefull... that makita does not have roto stop, so you can't use it in chisel mode which to my mind loses one of the big benefits of SDS drills.

If you want a Makita, the model to go for is probbably the HR2450 (very well pleased with my one) - but that is typically a little bit more money.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks - missed that!

I'm new to this so I don't know if I want a Makita: although I'm aware, somehow, that it's a decent make...

Yup, and that model in particular is pretty decent. A bit more power than many examples in the class which can be useful for turning big stuff like core bits. The speed controller also has a great deal of finesse - so you can drill or chisel very gently if required. Also when you engage rotation stop you can lock off the chisel bit at any rotation angle which is handy since you can place it where is is most comfortable for the you rather than the drill.

Background info on SDS drills here:

John Rumm

I've now got the DeWalt D25003K (which you pointed me to) on its way from Screwfix. Ordered at 5:40 for delivery tomorrow.

Pity PlumbWorld can't get their act together in a similar manner. Triton Aire shower ordered Tuesday, email on Wednesday to say ready for delivery, email at 18:51 tonight to say:

'Unfortunately we have encountered a problem with your order.

Our quality control team noticed damage to the product when your order was being packed.

On further inspection they decided that the goods were not in a suitable condition to be sent out to you.

There are no replacements in stock, but we have placed an order with the manufacturer to get one as soon as possible.

You will be emailed with a revised delivery date as soon as we have the information from our supplier.'

Hmm...

I've now got the DeWalt D25003K (which you pointed me to) on its way from Screwfix. Ordered at 5:40 for delivery tomorrow.

Pity PlumbWorld can't get their act together in a similar manner. Triton Aire shower ordered Tuesday, email on Wednesday to say ready for delivery, email at 18:51 tonight to say:

'Unfortunately we have encountered a problem with your order.

Our quality control team noticed damage to the product when your order was being packed.

On further inspection they decided that the goods were not in a suitable condition to be sent out to you.

There are no replacements in stock, but we have placed an order with the manufacturer to get one as soon as possible.

You will be emailed with a revised delivery date as soon as we have the information from our supplier.'

Hmm...

Oddly enough, I'm just planning on getting one of those.

Who's doing the best deals on them at the moment ?

Reply to
Roly

Seems to be Axminster Power Tool Centre at present - £89 inc. although that's without a pack of SDS drills. Others like Lawson HIS and ITS London are £20 or so more but with drills. Typically, the freebie drills, router bits etc. that come with tools are not very good; so I'd pick the lower price and buy the wanted drills (decent ones) separately.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Dunno, but its a super bit of kit!.

well pleased with mine:)))