Lifting a few floor tiles

I am in the process of minor renovations in a bathroom and have discovered a problem. I assume that at sone point in the past a storage heater was installed and this heater has a long metal bracket which takes the weight of the heater (those bricks inside are pretty heavy !) and lifts it about 3 inches from the floor.

At some point after the heater was installed the previous owner must have decided that they wanted a tiled floor (you can see where I'm heading.........) and whoever laid the floor very kindly tiled OVER the base of the metal bracket !

I want to remove the heater completely but to remove the bracket I have to either:

a) lift the floor tiles (I hadn't planned to replace the floor) b) cut the visible pat of the bracket off (although its shape and location make this very difficult)

Neither option looks attractive. Can anyone advise on a way to remove the floor tiles without damage (thter are no spares of course).

Reply to
Reevesy

I presume we are talking about vinyl tiles?, If so the easy way is to gently warm the tile using a blow torch or even a hair drier and carefully use a paint scrapper to lift the tile, this will work with most adhesives or self-adhesive tiles.. All be good Grumps

Reply to
Grumps

Sadly not - we're talking ceramic ones !

Reply to
Reevesy

You could try scraping out the grout then soaking the gaps to see if it softens the adhesive, just be careful when trying to pry up a tile

- maybe try the least obvious ones first in case they break.

Reply to
Rob Morley