Floor tiles

I want to remove some floor tiles in my bathroom that are laid right up to a wall which is also tiled - there's no skirting board.

Here's a picture:

However I'm worried about damaging the wall tiles due to the horizontal force travelling through the floor tiles. Unfortunately the previous owner left no spare wall tiles.

What's the best way to remove them without damaging the wall tiles?

Reply to
Charlie

All depends on how well the floor tiles are stuck down.

Last time I lifted some I used an angle grinder with stone cutting disk (like Toolstation 97863) to cut out the grout on a central tile, then lifted one at a time with a bolster working towards the walls.

It was surprisingly easy.

Reply to
Vortex11

I doubt that the act of shearing the edge floor tile from the adhesive will hurt the wall.

However, if you can cut the grout line between wall and floor at the base of the wall with an angle grinder, Fein tool or somehow, that should provide a bit of decoupling when the floor tile lifts. You can then replace with a line of flexible sealant (what I usually do between floor and wall).

Reply to
Tim Watts

+1

NT

Reply to
meow2222

to a wall which is also tiled - there's no skirting board.

force travelling through the floor tiles. Unfortunately the previous owner left no spare wall tiles.

I once tried to remove and replace a cracked tile. Whilst using a bolster I managed damage an adjacent tile despite it being about 6" from where I was using the bolster. I guess I managed to "push" the piece of tile I was rem oving hard enough into the adjacent tile. If their is a small recess behind the wall tile (where it meets the floor) I'm worried the same sort of thin g might happen.

OK, makes sense. What about a dremmel or will that basically offer me the s ame. I'm completely removing all the floor tiles so I'll bear in mind using sealant when I re-tile the floor.

Sorry for being a bit overcautious, it's just that I don't know where the p revious owner bought the tiles and I have NO SPARES.

Reply to
Charlie

up to a wall which is also tiled - there's no skirting board.

al force travelling through the floor tiles. Unfortunately the previous own er left no spare wall tiles.

I managed damage an adjacent tile despite it being about 6" from where I w as using the bolster. I guess I managed to "push" the piece of tile I was r emoving hard enough into the adjacent tile. If their is a small recess behi nd the wall tile (where it meets the floor) I'm worried the same sort of th ing might happen.

same. I'm completely removing all the floor tiles so I'll bear in mind usi ng sealant when I re-tile the floor.

previous owner bought the tiles and I have NO SPARES.

dremel would take forever, just use a hand grout saw/remover.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Since it looks like the wall tiles went on first (ie they don't overlie the floor tiles) I wouldn't think you'd have too much trouble here.

I would lift the tiles starting in the middle of the floor and work out to these more important edges. This will give you a feel for how well stuck everything is. Once you cut through the grout though, lifting the tiles shouldn't be too hard.

I recently had to cut out a patch of tiles that had lost adhesion. I tried a few ways to break through the grout but the best by a long stretch was a carbide grit cutter on my mutlitool. I was a bit surprised as it was from one of the Aldi sets and I didn't expect it to last five minutes.

Reply to
GMM

Probably, looks like an SDS drill.

I think that if you take up the tiles in the middle of the floor first. Club hammer and bolster, though if you have an SDS drill then a chisel in that might be easier esp if they are stuck well.

Then should be easier enough to lift the ones at the edge with out damaging the wall tiles. Once you have one out you can go along, rather than towards the wall anyway. If I was worried I'd use a Tungsten Carbide grit blade in a multitool to cut the tile/grout.

Reply to
Chris French

Bosch PMF or similar multitool.

Best new invention for DIY.