Scribing floor tiles

Recently tiled a floor using 330 x 330mm tiles. When it came to the border tiles I used the standard scribing technique e.g. the tile to be cut was laid over the adjacent whole tile & marked using another whole tile.

This method works a treat & I've used it for tiles, laminate floor, deck boards etc.

One wall was at an angle of maybe 35 - 40 degrees to the whole tiles & when I scribed the first tile it was around 20mm too small. Next one I just marked & compared by measuring the distances & sure enough it would have been 20mm out.

Can't get my brain around this. How can it work on 'square' walls ( which are always at a slight angle) but be so far out on an angled wall?

Is it the extreme angle?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes. If the whole tile is lined up against the wall then its sides are not parallel to the line of the tiling. So the distance from wall to tile-to-be-cut is not the true distance (the hypotenuse of a triangle rather than a right-angled side).

Reply to
djc

I'm ashamed to say I've never got my head round that method at all. I've been shown it several times, but I obviously have some kind of mental block about it. ISTR going through a phase of marking the tile upside down and then transferring the marks to the face but, in the end, I find it quicker to just measure the 2 distances.

Reply to
Stuart Noble