Removing Floor Tiles

I tiled my kitchen floor last year and made a pigs ear of it. I think I should remove thse tiles and start again. I suppose a SDS chisel is the only tool for this job as beneath the tile cement an area of the concrete floor has floor levelling compound on it. The kitchen is about 3m x 1.8m. How easy would an sds shisel remove this stuff. And will I need to be as fit a race horse to do it?

I could leave the tiles and use more floor levelling compound then tile on top which would raise the floor level about 15mm.

Thanks for any advice.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

Depends if you buy a £30 heavy or £100 light tool. Given the area you've got to cover I'd suggest at least a green Bosch.

If you're happy with that then do it.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Depends what sort of floor tiles you're talking about. I removed a similar amount of "lino" tiles with an SDS drill and chisel in a day or so but that wasn't an unqualified success since

a) There was a fair bit of adhesive left (which got removed over the next few weeks due to the passage of large workmen's boots) and b) I was a little careless at times and took a few chunks out of the floor, nothing that couldn't be solved with some floor leveling compound,

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton