Removing Wall Tiles

What do you consider to be the most useful tools to have around when embarking on removing wall tiles?

  1. Hammer
  2. Goggles
  3. ????

I hope to minimise wall damage - and maybe delegate some of the task to my daughter. Suggestions please.

Reply to
John

============================ A chisel like this:

one up at any B&Q, Focus etc.

Gloves for most people - broken tiles can be very sharp.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 348 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

4" bolster.If the tiles are fixed with modern tile adhesive, usually dead easy.

If they're part of the original build and set in cement, like some 30s houses, goggles, sds drill with chisel, ear defenders. Not for the faint hearted. Don't forget to put a sheet of ply or something over the bath

Reply to
Stuart Noble

For least wall damage but more time consuming than a larger chissel:

the one I bought did not have a nail puller in the flat end. The flat end is extremely thin and I removed a lot of tiles with next to no damage with it.

Martin

-- Martin J. Evans Wetherby, UK

Reply to
Martin Evans

The message from "John" contains these words:

4" bolster. You can get special thin tools for doing this but I've not tried one 'cos I've never really had any trouble getting tiles off the old way.
Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Cicero" contains these words:

A while ago Aldi were selling kevlar gloves which are for most purposes cut-proof. Much nicer for many uses than leather.

Reply to
Guy King

SDS drill with chisel. Don't bother turning it on. Just show it to the tiles and they'll leap off the wall!

It's the remains of adhesive that is the bigger problem as I'm currently finding out...

The message from F contains these words:

I'm getting close to ripping a chunk of plasterboard out and replacing it because of the adhesive remains from where a previous owner had stuck fake plastic tiles on the sidraT [1] wall.

[1] Loo like the Tardis only much smaller inside than you expect.
Reply to
Guy King