Fireplace and lintel removal

Hi all,

Have recently had some problems with fireplace installation.

The company have removed the old fireplace, which was a fair bit smaller than the one we have bought. However, the "builders" have removed some bricks from the opening (flue). Some above the lintel (the metal rod running through the lintel is still there) and some from the left hand side of the flue.

I'm a bit concerned now.

Are they supposed to remove the lintel? Should they put in a replacement lintel (higher up as it needs to be removed to fit this box)? I am wondering whether the installers are thinking of using the stainless steel box for the new fireplace as a replacement for the lintel, would it be incorrect of them to do this, as I doubt the box was supposed to be load bearing?

I'm not too happy with the way its going at the moment and have put them on hold. Just wondering whether I should just get someone else in who seems much more professional. The company I bought the fireplace from were great until the point of installation.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
paulcurt

I don't know what the purpose of the stainless steel box is but the lintel only needs to be strong enough to support the weight of an equilateral triangle of bricks sitting on it. In a fireplace I have just taken out the lintel consisted of a thinnish metal strap bedded into the brickwork at each end, that did the job OK.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Thanks for the reply.

The steel box is for the fire, it houses the burner unit and has the gas pipe leading into it.

The remains of the lintel here sounds like your one. I believe they have removed the concrete element and all that is remaining is the metal rod running through it! I assume this is reinforced concrete? I'm concerned they will not install a new rc lintel above the old one, as they have not consistently answered the questioned (as to what happens to the lintel and if it will be replaced further up) but not said no either.

hmmmm.

Reply to
paulcurt

"paulcurt" wrote

Is the crew doing the install a different gang to those you dealt with during purchase? If so, suggest you go back to the sales contact (in whom you have some confidence) and outline your concerns. Wouldn't hurt to list the points in writing and hand a dated copy of list to the vendor - just adds a degree of formality to your enquiry. I often do this and blame a poor memory for the need to write everything down (unfortunately in my case it's true).

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster