bay window felt

I have a leaky bay window about 6ft x 2ft. Been quoted 280 for hot pitch and felt plus a cover to stop cracking. Is this about right?

Reply to
Tod

Doesn't sound too far off. How many layers of felt and what's this "cover"?

Have you considered lead? My bays are about that size and they were releaded about 10 years ago and I would expect another couple of decades at least. It will cost more and you need a lead capble peson, not a random builder, but it's worth it IMO.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The cover is some sort of reflective layer that stops cracking in hot weather

Lead has gone up apparently. Over double the price of the felt.

Reply to
Tod

Okay now. Found a comparison site with quotes for similar work

Reply to
Tod

I'm not sure about larger areas, but lead flashings, gulleys, etc should last around 70 years. The limit on life is the number of expansions/contractions due to temperature changes, and how well the lead was laid/dressed to allow for that without becoming stressed or falling out of the brickwork.

Another limit on life is how accessible it is to be stolen.

Absolutely.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not worth it IMHO Do it once and do it properly Lead is the only material to use on a bay flat roof

Reply to
Mark

Yes. If you do go for felt though, the day's diy would save you over =A3200 of that.

White paint, silver paint or white stone will all reflect the sun's heat.

NT

Reply to
NT

If it's in a secure enough place why not consider copper. You'll only do it once in a lifetime.

Reply to
1501

Copper is just as good. Remember the correct felt below to deaden the sound of rain. Might be harder to find a suitable plumber.

Reply to
<me9

Next time my dormer felt goes, I may consider copper. Lead will impose too much load.

Reply to
Tim Watts

These days its probably wise to bitumen paint it afterwards so its not obvious

NT

Reply to
NT

Since we have lead & copper, it seems odd to leave out Zinc :-)

Reply to
js.b1

Much shorter life, but less likely to raided by pikeys.

Reply to
<me9

Have you thought about GRP? There are a number of companies out there who will do it for you but you can DIY as well.

Guide Price: Roof Size Total Cost Cost per m/sq.

10 m/sq £116.62 £11.66

Mike

Reply to
mailveil13-usenet