Gas question

Thanks Alan. They were very useful in showing how much the ring needs to be rotated and that it rotates on the flexible pipe.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I remember going up to Epsom via Paddington as a kid, from Cardiff on a steam train with a ?King Class loco in front.

At my grandparents house there was what seemed to be a gigantic plug socket next to the fire and Grandpa plugged in a huge hair dryer (or so it seemed) with a 3 foot long nozzle that he pushed into the coals to light it.

With hindsight I think the plug socket had round pins, probably 15 amp.

When I stayed there in the 70's, I remember a kerfuffle when a cousin found that the top floor had bare electric wires behind a switch because the vulcanised rubber cable had turned to dust. Emergency rewire needed, but cousin was a GPO apprentice so he did it.

Reply to
Andrew

We had a couple of those, including one of the very early ones. My grandmother had one too. (my father was manager of an electricity showroom so we got a lot of stuff, including the cooker with a transistor radio in it!)

Ours were all 13 amp - my father rewired the house.

Those things were great. Basically a blower with a big heater coil. By default it started up cold, and you inserted a forked key and pulled it back to turn on the heat. Lit the coal in no time. Basically electric bellows!

You can still buy similar things, although they seem expensive now.

Bob Eager