Small plastic box for car keyfob?

I need a box, clip shut that can contain a cuboid 70x40x20ish mm car keybob.

Can anyone think of a style of box that small and where I could buy one?

We can a real problem with the cars being left unlocked - or rather locked, then unlocked by keys being squashed in a pocket or handbag.

I'm annoyed enough that I will 3D print one if it comes to it - but if there's a box I could fit it in, not much bigger than the fob, and still hang it off a key bunch, that would be great.

We don't even need the buttons - it's a proximity system and there's buttons on the car door handles that open it.

But if I did, I'd drill 3 x 1/2" holes in so a finger could poke the putton, but accidental presses would be unlikely.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's not just me then!!! The other "feature" (of my Skoda) is a long press of the unlock button winds down all four windows by default, why this would be useful to anyone escapes me, winding the up with the lock button is great, but not down. Fortunately the feature can be switched off in the menu.

Reply to
Graham.

80x40x20 in grey or black
Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

If you don't need the buttons then take the battery out.

The immobilizer/proximity stuff doesn't usually need the battery, only the remote lock/unlock.

Reply to
dennis

Thank you! That is a good choice...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Nice thinking.

In this case I think it does use the battery as the "if the battery is dead, use the manual key and holdthe fob to the ignition button" suggests it needs power.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Might not be :o just realished, those are outside dimensions. :(

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Same on the model car we have, windows down and if held further sunroof opens to tilt position.

Find it very useful on a hot day to open the windows and roof from the living room, Restaurant, Hotel window etc and let some of the heat accumulated in the car to escape before we go out to it.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Not to me it dosn't.

Reply to
Graham.

It literally shows having to touch the fob to the start button.

But I can certainly try removing the battery and see what gives...

Reply to
Tim Watts

They generally don't need the battery for the immobiliser: there's an RFID chip inside the key body.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

If it's like my car though, it'll flag up an irritating "Key fob battery low" alert every time you start the engine. You then have to faff about to acknowledge and hide the warning.

A more elegant solution might be to buy a key fob soft cover (see

for an example) and then slide a piece of stiff but flexible material between the cover and the buttons. A bit cut out of a plastic bottle say.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Look around for smallest toy Xmas lights packaging in the sales and you might get something in that sort of size range or as the smallest of a Russian doll style nested set of food storage containers.

Touch wood never happened to me. Maybe the handbag or pocket needs a clear out to remove all the junk that pressed the unlock button?

Winding all the windows down as you approach the car is useful on those rare hot sunny summer days when the steering wheel is too hot to touch. I generally try to park in the shade though.

Reply to
Martin Brown

It will for the unlocking - and on this car, the key is not inserted into a slot in the dash. It merely has to be "inside the car". I reckon it needs a battery to work over a 2m range.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's one idea.

Having been all over google, the nearest thing I can find is a leather wallet for a keyfob that might prevent activation.

All the sleeves and covers are designed to be operated through (so are soft).

I realised this morning this is a perfect use of either 3D printing or (easier to design) a box made out of laser cut laminated acrylic sheets (like the RPi cases).

Reply to
Tim Watts

provide it's still there by then, of course

tim

Reply to
tim...

Thing I can think of that I have here is a foam lined strong plastic box some ICs came in. Designed to withstand being posted with no additional protection.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is this for one of those partner swapping parties where the car keys go in a bowl? And you don't want anyone to know you drive a Dacia? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Natural Philosopher

My car has a merely "inside the car" key. And an "outside the car within

1 metre" to unlock it.

However, if the battery goes: a) small key hidden inside fob, and hidden keyhole in driver's door. b) place fob (with RFID chip) in designated place in the car (bottom of the console storage box) and the car will start.

Reply to
Bob Eager