Dust ports - why is there no standard diameter

Why is there no standard for standard 4" dust ports? I measured them on all my tools and they ranged from 3-3/4" to 4". They aren't even standard within the same manufacturer and, unbelievably, on the same tool. One port on my bandsaw is 3-3/4" and the other 3-7/8". Are rubber boots needed on all tools to make things go together or is everything supposed to be connected by hoses clamped like hell? I want to put quick disconnects on the tools but I'm going to be using a lot of electrical tape shimming everything out to 4".

Reply to
krw

I use a flared female end on my DC hose. It fits all of my 4" ish male manifolds.

Leon

This is what I want to use.

krw

I have seen those in many places on YouTube, shop made.

The flair fitting I am using I have used for about 20 years probably more. I have not wanted for anything else. It fits everything in the

4" range because it is a flared fitting. No other pieces needed to fit the machines.

Having said that it will occasionally fall off of my jointer/planer combo. I think spraying the inside of the flare with a rubberized coating might work or simply use a short bungee cord to hook on to the hose and the attachment piece on the planer manifold.

Reply to
Leon

That would be a great project for you Shaper Origin!

Reply to
Leon

I would think that 2~3 rare earth magnets on each piece would be plenty. I guess the advantage to a boat load of magnets would be self alignment. I would like to see a video of the pieces being separated. I suspect with 24 rare earth magnets attracting each other a side to side motion may be necessary to separate the pieces.

Reply to
Leon

Separation was the first thing that I thought of. I'm wondering if the knurled circumference is just for ease of sliding them side to side or if it's easy to twist them apart like opening a jar.

I looked for a longer video, but couldn't find one where someone disconnects it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

This guy makes his own. No Origin needed. ;-)

I'm not sure why he stacks the magnets 4 deep. Seems like overkill. I tested 2 different sizes of RE magnets that I have and while 2 pulled the next one in harder than just 1, there was no noticeable difference when I added a third or fourth.

My highly accurate measuring technique was how far apart my fingers were when I felt the initial attraction. In this application, I think that's good enough.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have one of the flared connectors (from Rockler, I think). The thing jams on so tightly it's really hard to disconnect it. It's under my outfeed table so a double PITA.

Reply to
krw

It would be but it's a better project for a 3-D printer. By the time I found decent material it's cheaper just to buy them. Though, I need several.

Reply to
krw

It does (take side-to-side) motion, either sliding or rotating. You're not pulling them apart straight away.

Reply to
krw

I have these style, they have worked well for me.

Markem618

Yeah they always leave out the deal killer parts.

Reply to
Leon

FWIW once the DC is turned on the connection should be tighter. I think 1 magnet in each hole would be plenty. Oh and be sure the magnets are orientated correctly or the halves will never stick together.

Reply to
Leon

My single $6 flared fitting works for me. I would have to spend $105.00 immediately with those. But they do look like they would work well.

Reply to
Leon

:-)

Listen as the video starts at the time stamp including in the URL:

I also noticed that he uses standard refrigerator magnets for the ports. Maybe that's why he stacks them 4 deep and maybe that's why his are so easy to take off.

That is something to consider. Unless you're moving your tools or the hoses around while attached, do you really need RE magnets for the ports? Perhaps not.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I missed that part, I skimmed. Yes apparently the rare earth magnets to hang the hoses and refrig magnets for the ports. I thought refrigerator magnets were long and narrow rubber magnets. That was my confusion. Rare earth should have been used on both locations. Rare Earth magnets are simple to separate if you slide them apart vs trying to lift them apart. I think 4 rare earth on each mating side. Technically you only want them to hold the weight of the hose.

I typically do not move my equipment with the flare female fitting attached to the tool. So attachment is not an issue except for the planer/jointer machine. The hose hangs down from that mainfold and it will occasionally slip off from its own weight.

If I went to the magnet set up I would have to convert everything over just for the sake of the planer/jointer.

Or maybe attach the magnet set up around the perimeter of the flared female end. Then it would work normally for the tools that don't have an issue and just put the magnet set up on the planer/jointer. Hummmm.

Reply to
Leon

What's wrong with simple hose clamps?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

What was wrong with starting our vehicles by turning a key?

Nothing specifically, but what's wrong with making either operation easier?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Unless the weight/size of the magnet set up around the perimeter of the flared female end introduces some yet-to-be-known issue with some other tool. Hummmm. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03