Why is there no flour?

seems are rare as rocking horse sh*t, why?

Broadback wrote:

Wouldn't say it's back to normal yet, but have seen plain/wholemeal/self-raising in sainsburys, eight different varies on the shelf in waitrose, and small bags obviously portioned-out from industrial sacks in morrisons and asda ... try shopping at different times?
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:

Wouldn't say it's back to normal yet, but have seen plain/wholemeal/self-raising in sainsburys, eight different varies on the shelf in waitrose, and small bags obviously portioned-out from industrial sacks in morrisons and asda ... try shopping at different times?
I was in ASDA in Elgin today.
There was the usual Plain, SR and some bags filled in store!
They were labelled 'baking flour'! I didn't have a clue what that was supposed to be.
https://www.avg.com

in what sense do you mean obviously here
tim... wrote:

Because it's just one of those in-store bakery paper bags with a clear window and a printed label saying "flour 1kg"
On 21/05/2020 10:52, Andy Burns wrote:

Local farm shop sells flour bagged into 1kg clear plastic bags that their bread supplier has provided.
Local Sainsburys has had eggs for a while and yesterday had a shelf full of clear PET containers of 15 (or ?18) brown eggs and the label was marked 'Blakes'. This company normally supplies the catering trade and bulk users.

Brakes,
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Same here. A while back they were saying there was flour but no bags to put it in, you would have thought they would have solved that by now. SWAMBO t ells me she has managed to get a 1.5 Kg bag for £6 on Amazon. Don? ??t know if that is expensive?
Tricky Dicky wrote:

very.
Dad can't go out to buy, and supermarket deliveries didn't deliver him any (probably because he ticks the "no substitutes" box) he has started buying mail-order bulk
<https://hobbshousebakery.co.uk/products/shipton-mill-white-flour-16kg
On 20/05/2020 15:34, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Most flour is sold to the catering trade. So plenty of flour in catering sizes but not in retail sizes.
--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

sounds a rip-off to me
Ok yep, 80p in Sainsbury's (If they have any)
tim
On 20/05/20 15:25, Broadback wrote:

Yesterday, in a big Sainsburys, there were plenty of bags of their own-brand plain and self-raising flour. It's the first time I've seen it there for weeks. Oh, I forgot to mention these were, IIRC, 12kg bags! :-)
--

Jeff

On 20/05/2020 15:41, Jeff Layman wrote:

I just go in at 5PM and the unsold 'proper' bread, like sourdough is always reduced for quick sale, usually 40p instead of £1.70 or £2. Sourdough bread seems to keep long enough for me to eat it.

really
I go in at 9 am (or whatever) and I find 2 or 3 day old bread on the shelf
Unless I can find "today's" bread hidden behind, it stays on the shelf,
but someone must buy it, it never makes the marked down shelf in an edible state (good for bread crumbs perhaps)
On Wednesday, 20 May 2020 15:25:27 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:

Round here Lidl, Aldi, Tesco, health food shop - all have flour. Sometimes quite a range.
Wholemeal bread, white bread, white ordinary, self-raising, spelt, rye, org anic, gluten-free in numerous varieties, and others.
Might not have all of them, every day, but plenty around. Just cooked my la test loaf this morning. 50:50 wholemeal and white. Divided dough in three. Added lots of mixed herbs to one piece, grand padano to another and left on e plain. Shaped each one into a small loaf. Placed herb at one end, cheese at the other and plain in the middle. When they proved, the three parts jus t about welded to each other to make one loaf.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6h3p9jz5aai0vsr/bread%202%202.png?dl=0
On 20/05/2020 15:25, Broadback wrote:

There has been no flour shortage as such, eg there is always bread on the shelves, but I am told a lack of capacity to pack and distribute it in consumer sized bags.
TW
On Wed, 20 May 2020 15:45:38 +0100, TimW wrote:

Indeed. I bought a 16kg bag by mail order.
On Wed, 20 May 2020 15:25:50 +0100, Broadback
Agreed, flour is scarce but not unobtainable. But yeast is impossible to find, it seems. Plenty on Ebay or Amazon, but mostly from China, and I'm not sure I want that.
--

Chris

I was lucky enough to find some in Tesco's recently.
--
Tim

My Waitrose had the first yeast I'd seen since lockdown last week (but no flour). Two days later it had gone.
--
Dave W