Wifi device intermitant connecting

I'm struggling with a device which measures specific gravity, temperature and battery charge - for wine making/brewing. It runs on tiny battery and every so often wakes up, takes an sg measurement etc.,
connects to my LAN and supposedly sends the data collected to a website, maybe every 15mins. There are a few such sites I can use for this, but I'm struggling to get any of them working, or confirm the data is being sent to them.
My two routers log connected devices, but the device showing up in the lists are quite rare, because it only connects for a couple of seconds. How can I be sure the device is managing to connect, how can I check if it is trying to relay the data?
On Wednesday, 20 May 2020 10:36:20 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com wrote:

Depends on the router logging; a 'professional' router will log much more than an ISP freebie.
Example of Draytek router logging every user logon durations:
https://i2.wp.com/www.draytek.co.uk/images/hotspotportal14.png?resized0%2C534
Some will also log the amount of data used by the user, which would act as a check for you on data uploaded to sites.
Owain
On 20/05/2020 10:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Is this a commercial beast or some Arduino thing you've built etc from a design?
If the latter, I'd be surprised if there isn't a facility, while a PC is connected and running the Arduino IDE, to run the 'terminal'utility which monitors activity. Generally, those who write SW, will, for example, 'print' to the terminal:
Connecting to Wifi Connected to Wifi Sending data Data sent
etc
It may be worth looking at the design notes and checking.
--

https://www.unitedway.org/our-impact/featured-programs/end-human-trafficking

Brian Reay pretended :

Its a homebuilt github design using a WeBos D1.

I can connect to the unit via USB and PUTTY, but I cannot connect to it in normal operation at the moment when on battery, because the usb's 5v would damage it back feeding. I just need to remove components to try PUTTY during normal operation.
I only built it yesterday, so I was reluctant to start carving it up until I knew it was working.
My main router in the loft runs OpenWRT, and the device is showing in its log. The device is set at the moment to connect to my secondary router on the ground floor and upload its data every 60 seconds. In the main routers log I can see it doing 'something' every 61 seconds, but I cannot copy and paste from the log.
These are the log entries for the device... DHCPDISCOVER DHCPOFFER DHCPREQUEST DHCPPACK 61 seconds later, it repeats. DHCPDISCOVER....
Does that suggest it might be trying to connect to a remote website and succeeding, or failing?
Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote :

I bit the bullet and carved the back feed components off the WeBos PCB.
This is the relevant output of PUTTY, each time it wakes up each minute to send a fresh batch of data...
It is supposed to be connecting to the Ubidots website, the site seems to be suggesting that you just tell it I am using an iSpindel and it will do the rest. I have changed the 'token', for obvious reasons...
calling Ubidots Sender: Ubidots posting POST /api/v1.6/devices/Ispindel?tokenFF-BOVvWDe84RjfbUG8Ds???9???fFlIl HTTP/1.1 Host: things.ubidots.com User-Agent: ESP8266 Connection: close Content-Type: application/json Content-Length: 101
HTTP/1.1 200 OK Server: nginx Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 12:08:16 GMT Content-Type: application/json Transfer-Encoding: chunked Connection: close Allow: GET, POST, HEAD, OPTIONS Vary: Origin, Cookie
d1 {"battery": [{"status_code": 201}], "gravity": [{"status_code": 201}], "interval": [{"status_code": 201}], "rssi": [{"status_code": 201}], "temperature": [{"status_code": 201}], "tilt": [{"status_code": 201}]} 0
on 20/05/2020, Brian Reay supposed :

Its an iSpindel. The beasty floats inside a sort of test tube, with the Webos, gyroscope, temperature sensor, charger and a LiPo. The angle it floats at, is dependent on the SG, which it then reports as data via wifi, to a website.
There are several websites able to display the data, but my head is bursting trying to get any of them working, plus trying to decide whether the problem is the data not being sent to sites, or me not configuring the sites properly.
Harry Bloomfield, Esq. submitted this idea :

Sorted!
The main website I was working with Ubidots, had graphics and text so large the resolution of the laptop I was using was not able to display all of the settings. It simply needed me to scroll around more on the page, to set it up to receive the data and display it.
On 20/05/2020 14:16, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

A PICNIC problem then.
--
Mouse.
Where Morse meets House.