Why is there no flour?

On 5/21/2020 7:23 PM, Max Demian wrote:

When I couldn't find bread flour, I bought a 10 kilo sack sold as white chapati flour. It's not really white, more light brown, and it makes excellent yeast-raised bread.

I think you mean yeast
All wheat flour has gluten
but even with yeast, why can't you make bread out of self raising flour (assuming that is the case)
tim
On Fri, 22 May 2020 07:29:57 +0100, tim... wrote:

Not *enough* gluten to give the dough a good internal structure. Strong (bread) flour is made from a different kind of wheat, with more gluten.

AIUI, ordinary self-raising doesn't have enough protein in the wheat, so it's OK for cakes but not for bread. For bread you need strong white flour, and yeast.
--
Tim

you may desire your bread is made with yeast,
but you don't specifically *need* it
tim

You could try Bannock.
I’ve not made it for nearly 50 years but I was thinking about it the other day as we’ve run out of yeast.
If seen it a few times on YouTube- it is popular with campers (I learned to make it in the Scouts). Basically a flat bread. As one of the videos on YouTube mentions, most cultures have a flat bread in their cuisine, Bannock is probably our closest. The Indians (Asian ones) have Naan bread, North American Indians have theirs, ......
You can use an oven but cooking on a griddle / frying pan is more common. (Naan is done in a special oven of course).
Not really a substitute for normal bread but our perception of normal bread is rather an interesting concept. There was a very good documentary on BBC 4 a few days ago on the history of bread.
--
https://www.unitedway.org/our-impact/featured-programs/end-human-trafficking

On Thu, 21 May 2020 21:13:26 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

The lying kentish fuckwit fails again.
Naan bread has yeast.
--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

I don't think it's the flour one normally use to make bread. Not that I 'normally' make bread and when I have it's generally been a pre-mix (or when I borrowed a neighbours bread-maker).

Pass, I'm not a baker. ;-)

So it makes something else (other than what most people consider to be bread I mean), like the pancakes or Yorkshire puddings I've been making? ;-)
I did consider bagels but I believe that needs a yeast and I don't have the time atm to be 'playing' with such 'extra' / time consuming things.
I like Max's idea of chapattis though.
Cheers, T i m
On Thursday, 21 May 2020 10:37:52 UTC+1, tim... wrote:

But those that do buy flour probably use a lot more. Even if the other half of the population buys two bags every 6 weeks to make the average, that's not much for all culinary purposes (bread, cakes, pastry, batters, even flouring meat before browning).
It can also be used to make play-dough, and there are a lot of young children at home now.
Owain
On 21/05/2020 10:36, tim... wrote:

Note that was *households* not population...
--
Cheers,

John.
On 21/05/2020 10:36, tim... wrote:

I have never bought a bag of flour in my life. why bother when products made from it are normally on-shelf everywhere ?.

Says the man in the D I Y group ;-)
Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain
On Thursday, 21 May 2020 13:51:35 UTC+1, Adrian wrote:

My house is made from bricks; I've never bought a brick.
Owain
On Thu, 21 May 2020 12:00:30 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Nor built a house.
--
Dave W

On 21/05/2020 21:26, Dave W wrote:

I've done both
--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Because the home made products are cheaper and generally tastier. And, as I keep pointing out, it takes 5 minutes of my time to load up the bread maker so I can wake up to a freshly baked loaf.
--
Tim

not at 6 pounds a bag of flour, it isn't
tim

I'm not paying £6 for a bag. Usually try to get the 3kg Alinsons bag which costs around £3 according to SWMBO. That's 40p for the flour for a 400gm loaf, and is the expensive item.
--
Tim

but the OP did
that how we started this thread
tim

Doesn’t even take 1 minute of my time with mine.