Why is there no flour?

sounds a rip-off to me

Ok yep, 80p in Sainsbury's (If they have any)

tim

Reply to
tim...

just leave it out in the garden and hope to attract some wild yeast

(works for beer)

tim

Reply to
tim...

That sounds very high

I would guess half the population buys zero bags every year

Reply to
tim...

Because it's just one of those in-store bakery paper bags with a clear window and a printed label saying "flour 1kg"

Reply to
Andy Burns

We don't typically buy flour or make our own bread ... needs must.

Daughter picked us up a 1.5kg bag of white self raising flour and I had to look up things to do with it. Very little you can make is good for you. (We aren't likely to bake cakes when we don't normally buy them).

Eg, so far it's made some (vegan) pancakes and Yorkshire puddings.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

But those that do buy flour probably use a lot more. Even if the other half of the population buys two bags every 6 weeks to make the average, that's not much for all culinary purposes (bread, cakes, pastry, batters, even flouring meat before browning).

It can also be used to make play-dough, and there are a lot of young children at home now.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Note that was *households* not population...

Reply to
John Rumm

Handy for a bit of thickening in a stew / casserole.

Reply to
John Rumm

Local farm shop sells flour bagged into 1kg clear plastic bags that their bread supplier has provided.

Local Sainsburys has had eggs for a while and yesterday had a shelf full of clear PET containers of 15 (or ?18) brown eggs and the label was marked 'Blakes'. This company normally supplies the catering trade and bulk users.

Reply to
Andrew

I just go in at 5PM and the unsold 'proper' bread, like sourdough is always reduced for quick sale, usually 40p instead of £1.70 or £2. Sourdough bread seems to keep long enough for me to eat it.

Reply to
Andrew

My Rentokil shares dipped on March 17th but recovred with

10 days.

They are going to be busy de-fleaing all those Travelodge and Premier Inns when the 'homeless' are booted out.

All that stockpiled flour, pasta and dry biscuits are go> Maybe everyone has stock piled it.

Reply to
Andrew

I have never bought a bag of flour in my life. why bother when products made from it are normally on-shelf everywhere ?.

Reply to
Andrew

In message <ra5sia$1ump$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, Andrew snipped-for-privacy@mybtinternet.com writes

Says the man in the D I Y group ;-)

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Because the home made products are cheaper and generally tastier. And, as I keep pointing out, it takes 5 minutes of my time to load up the bread maker so I can wake up to a freshly baked loaf.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Brakes,

Reply to
charles

presumably that's the sort you can't make bread with?

what's the reason for that?

surely flour and water mixed together and baked in the oven just works (flat bread without the yeast)

tim

Reply to
tim...

that's the only reason I ever bought a bag

The bag lasted so long that I gave up bothering and just had thin gravy

tim

Reply to
tim...

not at 6 pounds a bag of flour, it isn't

tim

Reply to
tim...

really

I go in at 9 am (or whatever) and I find 2 or 3 day old bread on the shelf

Unless I can find "today's" bread hidden behind, it stays on the shelf,

but someone must buy it, it never makes the marked down shelf in an edible state (good for bread crumbs perhaps)

Reply to
tim...

To most people, bread means leavened, which required gluten.

I make chapattis with ordinary plain white flour and cook it in a (dry) frying pan.

Reply to
Max Demian