Paint failure

Some south facing exterior timber window frames were painted with Leyland u ndercoat & gloss topcoat, both oil based. The wood was in sound condition,
and the old paint was all stripped off due to its poor condition. Now the p aint is flaking badly a year later! How can a repeat of this failure be avo ided?
NT

Chemicals from previously stripped paint leaching from the wood and attacking the undercoat???? Perhaps a paint formulated as a sealer applied first?
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On Wednesday, 20 May 2020 15:55:22 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

nd undercoat & gloss topcoat, both oil based. The wood was in sound conditi on, and the old paint was all stripped off due to its poor condition. Now t he paint is flaking badly a year later! How can a repeat of this failure be avoided?

The only chemicals on/in the wood are any traces from the previous paint, w hich was also alkyd and didn't fail prematurely. So I don't think the issue is chemical residue this time.
NT

Fo a similar problem I am planning to cover the top coatwith a marine (yacht) varnish.
--
Michael Chare

That is a fairly decent quality paint so it almost certainly has to be bad preparation of the surface to be painted or moisture still trapped in the wood when it was painted. Frost or excessive temperature variation before the paint had fully cured might be a possibility too.
Do you have a picture of a flake (underside) and the surface it flaked off?
It is the top coat only or is the undercoat and top coat coming away from the wood surface. South facing is the most stressful direction for a painted surface to face but it should last a lot longer than that.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

or the wood has dried out. I solved this problem once, but putting linsead oil on the wood and letting it soak in before painting.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Wednesday, 20 May 2020 16:31:34 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:

I've always been happy with Leyland, pretty good stuff. But this batch was problematic to apply. It had no interest in covering even the tiniest of microcracks on the previous paint, so every little bit had to come off.

Surface prep was a thorough scrape off. No chemicals were used, no water. All cracks were filled with linseed putty, which I've never known to have a problem with alkyd gloss. Layers applied were Leyland undercoat (alkyd) & Leyland gloss topcoat. The wood was dry. Weather was too warm for frost. I'll pull some flakes off later for closer inspection.
NT
Is it a dark colour? Brian
--
----- --