Re: Exterior paint for wood - Longest lasting

I finally have proof that the 8 years claimed by Dulux Weathershield oil basis rubbish. I've been using this paint for years on previously painted wood and have long had my doubts. 4 years ago I fitted a new hardwood sill for a customer and applied the primer, undercoat and 2 coats of gloss. Today I had to repaint it, the paint was flaking on the nose of the sill. The sill is west facing so gets the full afternoon sun but even so, 4 years not 8.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Yes agree with that one. It has cracked along its length after 5 years again. I get the impressing its undercoat or its self has different expansion rates which makes it kind of curl, eventually going hard and flaking or cracking. Perhaps its best in the shade and preferably not a black. However their gloss certainly remains gloss, even on the bits that came off!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well that is not my experience. On softwood, with half the house facing south and the other half north, and the gable end due east, it lasts way, way longer than any other paint I have tried.

The problem arises when it needs a refresh. It seems to have a tough plasticky finish which is tricky to rub down. Wet and dry seems to be the only solution. The standard 'trade' scam of just giving it quick wipe with 40-grit is hopeless.

Painting hardwood is a problem because if you did it 4 years ago and used the full weathershield system including their primer system, then this is now water-based which just bounces off hardwood.

If you just used undercoat and topcoat without primer, then I'm not surprised it didn't last.

Also, why are you painting a hardwood cill ?. If this is a door cill then the correct treatment should be the weathershield preservative basecoat primer followed by an appropriate UV resistant stain or yacht varnish or similar.

If it is a window cill, then hardwoods still need a proper primer, preferably solvent based, but VOC2010 means these are becoming rare.

Some people say that fibreglass resin is a good primer for hardwoods.

Reply to
Andrew

Epoxy is best - but you _must_ have a UV-proof topcoat.

Bits of my boat that are in the dark most of the time have 20yo varnish on them. The UV has got to the exposed bits though.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris