Best Exterior Paint?

Can somebody please tell what the best brand of Exterior paint is? I've heard conflicting reports that Sherman-Williams is and others say that it's a waste of money! So does anyone have any recommendations for an Acrylic Latex Exterior Brand? Thank in advance.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

FAIR USE

---------- Consumer Reports (Aug 2003) says these are the top five for white paints. Sherwin Williams (Super Paint Satin, low luster) was rated

13th.

M.A. Broder (Sea Shore, flat) California (Fresh Coat Velvet, flat) Pratt & Lambert (Accolade Eggshell, flat) Sico (Supreme, flat) Gliddent (Endurance Satin, low luster)

The order was different for blue and brown paints, but California and Glidden were always in the top five. Since M.A. Bruder and Calilfornia are only available in the Northeast and East respectively, I'd suggest you go with the Glidden.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Most companys have a cheap line and a good line. But the paint life is in the prep and aplication

Reply to
m Ransley

The only paint I use on the exterior of my house is Benjamin Moore in the acrylic latex. Last time it was painted was in 1992 and holding up beautifully.

Before i painted it last time, I pressure washed it and primed it. Mine is a cement block house and here in florida it is a good choice.

Pat.

Reply to
Pat

I agree, that's why I'm going all out on the prep work (pressure washing the whole house, putting Zinnser's Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer on all walls) but trying to find a very good quality Acrylic Latex Exterior paint that's going to have excellent coverage and last at least 15 years. I live in the Midwest region so we've got harsh weather conditions (so the paint has to be very durable). I've looked at Lowe's and found a paint called American Traditions but know nothing about it? I'm trying to find out people's experiences with good Exterior Acrylic Latex paints.

Reply to
Rich

The only paint I use on the exterior of my house is Benjamin Moore in the acrylic latex. Last time it was painted was in 1992 and holding up beautifully.

Before i painted it last time, I pressure washed it and primed it. Mine is a cement block house and here in florida it is a good choice.

Pat.

Reply to
Rich

In general I would avoid paints pushed by Lowes Depot. Talk to guy at a local paint place or two (if your big box store hasn't put them all out of business) and try to validate their claims with your own research.

Reply to
Brad

This is confusing. After reading Consumers Reports, the highest rated paint depends on the color selected. I use Benjamin Moore, brilliant white.

Reply to
Phisherman

I've had good luck with Behr. It'll be 12 years old this fall.

-TheKidd

Rich wrote:

Reply to
TheKidd

Their stuff is pretty high quality. Try their salad bowl finish for food handling surfaces. Great stuff.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

"last at least 15 years"

Good luck on that.

Perhaps a vinyl siding or concrete bunker. Maybe.

Otherwise, just plan on painting in 7-10 years. It happens. Sun harsh. Weather harsh. Paint thin.

Reply to
Chuck Yerkes