Can you paint an aluminum threshold?

We ordered some doors for our house. We specified dark bronze hinges and threshold. They arrived at the job and were installed before we were able to check them. They arrived with silver aluminum or stainless thresholds and brass hinges. I contacted the door mfg and they can send me the bronze hinges to subsitute. However, since they are installed, the thresholds can't be changed without removing the doors and trim. Can I paint the thresholds and, if so, what kind of paint will stick to the aluminum?

Reply to
jplasater

Most hardware and paint stores sell primers especially for galv. steel and aluminum. Just clean threshold with 409 or Fantastic, very lightly sand with 220 sandpaper or fine steel wool, wipe dry, and prime on a warm day, but out of the sun. Any exterior finish canned paint can be used to cover the primer. Or, you could mask off the primed area, then use a spray can of preferred color, as this is a tiny area to cover, and won't drip, since it is horizontal..

Reply to
Roger Taylor

Many oil based (or epoxy based) paints are designed for painting metal surfaces, however, if it is a high traffic area the painted surface will not hold up as well as you would like. As long as your willing to repaint every so often, the paint solution could work.

Reply to
ceraboy

pay when you are happy is good advise

Reply to
m Ransley

As others have indicated, I would not try and paint them unless there was very little traffic through that doorway. You will be forever trying to keep it looking good.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this, but this is brand new material. You have to kill the slick shiny surface. oil primer is not always best -- ask a few paint stores for primers that really bond. i know Porter has a really good latex primer, so I'm sure others do. Porter even has a latex for painting directly to metal -- gotta say, it stuck like glue.

Reply to
Hopkins

replying to Hopkins, Eric Hays wrote: DTM with an automotive grey primer. Work on Heavy traffic areas. Regardless of what others comment I'm saying its been done and works. I own a remodeling company and we have done it with several different applications that work. Check out my site for step by step illistrated instructions.

Reply to
Eric Hays

The issue I see is that you need to evaluate if it's worth it. Once painted, it will have to be periodically repainted, while if left as an aluminum surface, it doesn't have to be. Same as a concrete porch or similar. But if you're OK with that, then I'd paint it.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to Eric Hays, J Franklin wrote: Our door sills/thresholds arrived silver anodized aluminum and NOT the bronze we ordered. They are installed and my wife wants them painted and not replaced due to the cost and hassle. Could you email me how you prep and paint ??(Check out my site for step by step illistrated instructions. ) Thx in advance!

Reply to
J Franklin

replying to Eric Hays, jph2431 wrote: Can you please send me your site so that I can hear details and instructions on how to paint and aluminum threshold thank you

Reply to
jph2431

replying to Eric Hays, jph2431 wrote: Can you please send me your site so that I can hear details and instructions on how to paint and aluminum threshold thank you

Reply to
jph2431

Can you please post your website address? I also have a silver threshold that should have been bronze. The builder didn't check the specs before installing and then it was too late to replace without a lot of work. This threshold is in a high traffic area. Am assuming that we'll have to repaint in a few years, even with your method? Thanks so much for your help!

Reply to
John

Can you please post your website address? I also have a silver threshold that should have been bronze. The builder didn't check the specs before installing and then it was too late to replace without a lot of work. This threshold is in a high traffic area. Am assuming that we'll have to repaint in a few years, even with your method? Thanks so much for your help!

Reply to
John

replying to J Franklin, coffeymugs wrote: I am wanting the step-by-step procedure too.

Reply to
coffeymugs

First thing is you must get permission from your HOA.  They'll also tell you what color to paint it.

Reply to
Roger Oveur

So much for the land of the free.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Why would you want to paint it? Then if you step on it, you'll ruin the paint.

Reply to
micky

Okay Eric I’d like more instructions on how to paint a aluminum threshold. I’m not seeing a link to click on

Reply to
Tia

Clean it, sand if needed ending with fine grit, then apply a primer for metal, followed by enamel top coat, spray or brush on. Read the cans.

Reply to
trader_4