Paint again

Oh dear, oh dear, here I am again with a moan and a problem.

First, the colour matching , which I was on about before. I had some lighter than expected mix of green paint that we tried on the house and rejected. At the same time, at the same Leyland paint dealer, they mixed up some "bronze" coloured paint to apply to the top of the boat as a sort of mahogany colour. Now applied, it is bright orange rather than the near mahogany colour. I think it's quite bright and OK, but SWMBO has been saying we don't want to become a laughing stock. I can explain the Dulux mismatch as my fault with the viewing angle of the colour chart, but with the other two manufacturers, there is definitely something not quite right.

Now to the Dulux. We have a painter replacing rotten wood and preparing to paint all the woodwork of the house - wooden window frames, doors, fascia boards etc .He was keen to use Dulux Weathershield paint because he said it was flexible and so would cope with the sun and bad weather better. We got their very limited colour chart and SWMBO chose a colour, which only came in silk finish. But today we seem to have discovered that the silk finish Weathersheild is a water based paint (with 6 year warranty) as opposed to the gloss finishes which are oil based (8 year warranty). Based on my experience with sheds and fences, I've always avoided water-based house paints, so can anyone give any experienced-based advice.

Apparently the water based Weathershield can be used as both undercoat and top coat, so we might get less wastage. The warranties won't apply as the painting is not going back down to full start-again mode, but there must be a reason for the shorter warranty.

Reply to
Bill