Water Paint on external woodwork.

A bloke is proposing to repaint windows, porch etc. He has said water based paints are the preferred thing these days. I raised one eyebrow. Am I hopelessly out of date? Water? better than oil? Really? Aside from the enviro-considerations and the colour degradation that is.

TW

Reply to
TimW

Cars are painted with water based paint these days.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

And they're crap, too.

Reply to
Huge

The pigmented material is actally plastic suspended in water which then evaporates.

Reply to
Dave W

All paints are a combination of pigment, binder & solvent.

Reply to
Huge

I'll let you know. All the outside of this house was done with water based last year (except the front door and iron railings)

So far, so good.

It seemed to stick the lid to the tin (after use) rather better than oil based. ;-) And of course masonry paint has been water based for ages.

I went for an expensive brand - not the sort of stuff the sheds stock.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not so sure. My car was originally plain black cellulose. Went 'dead' after about 10 years. The respray - plain black water based but with a clear coat too - is now twice as old and still good. On the bits like the roof which are still untouched since that respray. Other bits have been replaced due to rust, so obviously repainted since. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, all paints are not.

Powdercoat and epoxy based painst have no solvent.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If I employed a painter, I'd not tell him what materials to use. Even you should realise that gives him a get out clause if anything should go wrong.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But the water-based car paint has to be protected with a clear laquer coat, or it would not last very long.

Dulux Weathershield is still solvent-based, top coat and undercoat if you buy the trade variety, but their matching primer is water based and very difficult to apply to hardwood or any wood with previous coatings.

I think you need to query his motives for suggesting this.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes, that'll go down well, telling a painter how to do his job.

Reply to
mechanic

Really? You must be thinking of someone else.

I asked around.

I'd rather not have to re-paint the house every two years given the cost of scaffolding it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)