Dulux Paint Pod

Has anyone tried the new Paint Pod?

Was thinking of buying it but would like to find out if it's any good first.

Reply to
Ed_Zep

If you Google on "Dulux PaintPod" you will find several positive reviews. The only caveat is that you are forced to use the expensive Dulux PaintPod special paint, which costs a whopping £30 for five litres (colours) or £20 for white.

And of course the PaintPod itself will cost you £70.

Reply to
Bruce

I couldn't help thinking:

You have to be doing a *lot* of painting to justify the cost of the device.

You must not do a lot of painting with it because of the cost of the special paint pods.

Hmmm - bit of a conflict.

However, I can see that some people might find it wonderful. Imagination (rather then knowledge or experience) suggests that a one-armed person might be able to paint what otherwise would need a decorator - and other special circumstances.

Reply to
Rod

I think the main appeal lies in speed of application and cleaning.

When applying paint you don't need to stop to replenish your paint tray, you just carry on until you finish the job or you replace the Pod, which is simple and quick with only a minute's interruption to your workflow.

When you have finished, you put the roller into the PaintPod, add five litres of water and it cleans itself. Job done.

So I think the biggest advantage is in speed. There are also advantages in the lack of mess and the fact that a part-used Pod of paint is stored in the machine ready for use.

I think the PaintPod is a brilliant idea. However, I will be sticking to my own method which involves using a small (radiator) roller which is much quicker and easier to clean than a big one. I can also use a wider range of paints than with the PaintPod.

Reply to
Bruce

I was looking at this over the weekend. I am sure that I am not the only one here who finds that the painting of the room with a roller and washing the roller afterwards is a small proportion of the overall time compared to all the preparations (sand, fill, sand again, remove electrical sockets etc). Of course if you don't do any of that the PaintPod is probably ideal.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

I think it will appeal strongly to people who like to own gadgets.

Reply to
Bruce

Completely understand.

But... I find that the cycle of charging the roller, applying - charging

- applying - makes me stop doing silly things like tipping my head back at a silly angle for long-ish periods of time. Also, the longer I stare at newly applied white paint, the less I can see what still needs to be done.

At the price increment over ordinary paint and roller, an ordinary roller and tray (and possibly even the paint itself) can be treated as totally disposable and stgill work out much cheaper.

I too tend to use small rollers - and for much the same reason. I would use a standard roller on a large room.

Reply to
Rod

the simple way of doing this is buy 1 tub of paint then fill it up with your normal dulux paint anf save =A310 a time

Reply to
crc270969

Have you done this? Or have you seen a report of anyine doing this? The Dulux website certainly gives the impression that pod paint is "special" in some regard so I would wish to know that this approach has been tried and tested. Successfully.

Reply to
Rod

Yeah, you would have to be pretty simple to believe that Dulux hadn't thought of that. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

to quote MRD "they would, wouldn't they ?"

If it's like ink for printers, it'll be OK .....

Reply to
Jethro

Good old MRD. Yes - she and they would. I am sufficiently interested to ask but not to find out by my own experimentation.

Hmmm - that corner looks a bit streaky. Did the magenta get blocked?

Reply to
Rod

Now that sounds like an interesting device. Multiple nozzles and seperate cmyk paints. Download the 'wallpaper' that you want or design your own and the roller knows where it is and the speed and direction that it is going and deposits the right colour in the right place. Wonder if I can patent it?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

No. I want to... :-)

Love the idea. A number of years ago I did actually go through lots of thought about whether a robotically controlled printhead could be used to "paint" straight onto walls - for murals, ads, etc.

Decided that it was in the "obvious" category and so someone else would have patented it already (if possible).

Reply to
Rod

I did :) but with "reviews" you can never be quite sure if they're promotional or not.

Reply to
Ed_Zep

i was thinking you can cut the cost down maybe by only buying 1 of the special paint pots say in white (cieling etc) then as its immulsion it should wash out and you can maybe use the same tub with a cheaper paint just an idea

Reply to
ladylou1978

i was thinking you can cut the cost down maybe by only buying 1 of the special paint pots say in white (cieling etc) then as its immulsion it should wash out and you can maybe use the same tub with a cheaper paint just an idea

Keep up at the back this was mentioned (in this thread) on 28/04/08 by crc270969. Also it is Emulsion not IMmulsion, sorry but this really gets my goat like Emmersion instead of Immersion (the element is immersed in water - technically). You also spelt ceiling incorrectly but that was probably a typo.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Hi, I would like to buy this item, have been checking on the web for the paint but can only buy it a =A329.95, can you please let me know where you get the paint for =A320.00 per 5 litre. Thanks

Reply to
helen.h.hunt

Go to:

and search for "paintpod".

But I actually think that the problem is that this price is for Brilliant White only - other colours are indeed £29.98. The earlier poster did actually say this:

"a whopping £30 for five litres (colours) or £20 for white"

Reply to
Rod

quoted text -

I'm renovating an entire house and speed would be good. I want to start using 'green' paint (stop rolling your eyes!) and thought I'd trying filling up an empty Dulux paint pod container and testing it on a small area first. Of course if the finish is awful, I won't know if that's due to using the wrong paint in the pod or the paint itself! If it doesn't work, I can sell the Pod on ebay. Someone'll buy it. Hubby is a die-hard Dulux & brush man. Rollers are just new-fangled gadgets to him.

Reply to
moaner