They don't use my cutting board

Can a cutting board be too nice to use? Back over a dozen years ago I made three cutting boards. One for myself, the other two as gifts for good friends.

Mine is used on a regular basis and still looks rather good. I may give it a sanding as the wood had darkened with age. One a trip a couple of weeks ago I visited both people that I gave boards to. Both have them displayed in the kitchens, but neither even had a loaf of bread sliced on it.

One uses it to hod some coffee cups and stuff for the morning, the other uses it like a server for cheese and crackers and other dry stuff.

I was told, it is not a cutting board, it is a work of art. Its a tool, use it!

Ed Pawlowski

Looks like you put too much work into it ? Next time try an old piece of barnboard .. they won't use it either but you save some work ... :-) John T.

Reply to
hubops

Make them a nice cutting board and they'll never use for the reason stated. Make them a boring looking one and they'll hide it in the back of a cabinet to avoid looking at. You'll never win. ;-)

Nice job!

It looks like you've got some Douglas Fir in there. I had bunch left over from a project so I was going to make some end-grain cutting boards with it. Before I got a chance to use it, my daughter asked me for it. Her and her BF are (were?) going to make a pair of nightstands with it.

It's been 2 years and the wood is still sitting in her basement. :-(

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I agree with them. It looks too nice to risk scratching it up! : )

Reply to
Bill

I got the same answers from the dozen or so boards that I had given. I told them that if they mark it up that I would resand it for them.

Reply to
Leon

Very nice work...Nice thing about endgrain boards is that they hold up pretty well against scratching, not to mention being easier on knife egdes...

Reply to
Brian Welch

I can see why they cherish them. Well done!

Reply to
Michael

It's my understanding that bacteria don't like them much either.

Reply to
krw

White oak, cherry, walnut

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, they were well oiled before I sent them. I'm going to sand mine as it is darkening a bit over the years

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They value it is a treasured gift from friend.

Reply to
Markem618

Ed Pawlowski snipped-for-privacy@snet.xxx on Sun, 10 Jul 2022 19:34:05 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

They are _using_ the board. Maybe not the way you would, but they are.

The real question is "Whose board is it? Yours or theirs?" It is difficult to let go of something you put a lot of effort into, but ... you gave it to them.

Years ago, I sold a house. A week after closing, the shed which I had spent a summer rebuilding, caught fire. I was very upset. Then I learned that it had been empty, so no "great loss". And it wasn't my shed anymore, I'd sold the place, it wasn't my problem.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Yes, I'm happy to see they have it on display and value it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes and I appreciate that.

For the one friend liked my Tudor bench so I make one for them too but they paid for the material.

Ed Pawlowski

I built this and gave it to my (adult) daughter. It's 5' long and made from skip-planed 8/4 poplar. It was the first thing I built where I milled (ripped and planed) every board to size.

She painted it pink.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'd prefer the look of the wood but . . .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

As do I, but as pyotr noted, once I gave it to her, especially unfinished, it's hers to do with as she pleases.

She loves it and that’s all that matters to me.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Reply to
Brian Welch