cutting board

I got to play in my woodshop today! Yippee. I made a cutting board from cherry and walnut with maple inlay.

Let me know if you like it. I think I'm getting a little better with my inlay kit. :)

last one down

Reply to
Stoutman

Looks nice. Can you make smaller inlays? I wonder if it would look better with smaller but one for each joint or if it would look too busy that way.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I like it! And LOML walked in while I was looking at it, and she really liked it too - she even correctly ID'd all the woods! (She's learning!) Anyway, I always like walnut/cherry or walnut/maple combinations - good choice of woods IMO. I'm not sure how I feel about the inlays - can't decide whether they're supposed to be the main focal point point, or a secondary accent. I don't think they're too large, but I just don't think they add much to the piece - maybe because I'm just drawn to the beauty in the cherry and walnut, it doesn't need another focal point in my mind. Or maybe it's that bowties are supposed to be functional in my mind, so the fact that they're absent on the middle board gives away the fact that they're merely aesthetic inlays. I dunno. Overall, it's a beautiful and well-made piece, and I would be honored to own it or proud to have made it. Great work on the inlays - it doesn't matter whether or not I like them - they're perfectly done, from what I can see in the picture - keep up the good work! Thanks for sharing, Andy

Reply to
Andy

You do really nice work, Stout. The colour contrasts are lovely. That'll be one of my future projects, and I hope I can do something half as lovely.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

Yeah. I didn't think of that until after. If I used smaller inlays I could have fit one at each joint intersection. But the goal was just to add more visual interest (maybe a little over kill).

Reply to
Stoutman

impressive!

They were used to add more visual interest.

I think I agree with you here. Bowties (dutchman) are usually used for structural purposes, so because I used them at the joint intersection, one automatically expects to see them at all joint intersections. I probably should have avoided the intersections in the four corners? Don't know.

Thank you!

Reply to
Stoutman

Thank you!

Reply to
Stoutman

Stoutman wrote: || Looks nice. Can you make smaller inlays? I wonder if it would || look better with smaller but one for each joint or if it would || look too busy that way. | | Yeah. I didn't think of that until after. If I used smaller | inlays I could have fit one at each joint intersection. But the | goal was just to add more visual interest (maybe a little over | kill).

AOL. Smaller inlays would work better for me, too - and a pair for each joint might add still more balance and visual interest. It might even be possible to size the inlays to give the impression of a border at both ends...

'Tis nice clean work!

Morris Dovey

Very nice. Gave me an idea -- a cutting board with a dutchman in the shape of each state/province where we've lived (5 or 6 so far, depending on how you count) -- might be an interesting conversation piece. Of course, have to leave room for future states...

Reply to
Anonymous

Thank you Morris!

Reply to
Stoutman

Either way, it is an eye catcher and so much different than any store bought piece. Be sure to post the third or fourth generation of them if you try other design refinements. You could even make a set of accompanying accessories like coasters, cheese plate, etc.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski