Particle board under sink rotted

I'm replacing my faucets in my bathroom. The particle board is really messed up and I'd like to replace it. Anyone with any insight as to a material that I can replace it with to better withstand water?? Also I've got a cabinet with a divider on the front that could make getting the new material into the cabinet tough. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Reply to
dk

Exterior grade (or better still, marine grade) plywood. Be sure to put a coat or two of varnish on it when you're done installing it.

Reply to
Patrick Cleburne

Sure, marine-grade plywood would certainly work better. But really you'd be better off setting it up properly so that water isn't an issue at all.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Had the same problem with particle board under the dishwasher wet and swelled etc. I just cut it out and replaced it with plywood, exterior grade.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Had that problem with a kitchen sink cabinet. I removed the old particle board, made a new one to fit, cut it in two right down the middle, added a support across the bottom of the cabinet and replaced the bottom as two pieces instead of one. You'll probably have so much stuff in there that you won't see the seam, anyway.

Tom.

Reply to
Tom

i use 1x6 boards screw them down ,then glue a peice of lenolium over it. used some 12x12 lenolium tiles on the last one..lucas

ds549

Anything is more durable than particle board when it gets wet (except maybe chip board).

So you can use any scrap of wood that will fit. In one bathroom, I use a piece of T1-11, which was a scrap but already painted to match myhouse. It also matches the bathroom.

In another, I use a piece of white panelling that I got somewhere.

In another plain plywood.

It will be an intelligence test for the next owners to see how many years it takes for them to notice that all the bottoms are different. but I don't plan to grade them.

Sure water-resistant is nice, bu tnormally the wood doesn't get wet anyhow, and when it does, it dries out. Except for particle board, which crumbles. '

mm

Reply to
nospambob

All good suggestions.... My last house had the same problem in the kitchen and after I replaced all the plumbing under the sink I replaced the damaged wood with exterior plywood as suggested above then I screwed and caulked a quarter inch piece of sheet pvc over the plywood. For 16 years never a problem....super easy to clean no matter what was spilled.....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Where is the particle board? If it is the top you ought to replace the top, if it is shelves or the bottom board you have lots of options. First, there shouldn't be any water so fix the leaks. If you want it too just look better, simply cover it with with a vinyl floor product (about $19 for a 6 x 9 piece). Better is to replace boards with exterior plywood, on even particle board but this time paint it.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon