Particle Board Sealant?

The bottoms of my kitchen sink cabinet and those of two bathroom vanities are made or 3/4" particle board. They're relatively new and solid enough, but subject to staining and possible water damage.

For ease of installation, I plan to use vinyl tile to cover the particle board, but realize that it should be sealed before setting the tile.

What would be the best choice(s) for sealing the particle board? I do not want to have to install an underlayment.

TIA

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Don't glue the tile down. Lay it out and cut it so it 'keys' into the corners and offsets, and holds itself in. Solid vinyl would probably work better, if you can figure out how to make a paper pattern to cut to fit.

Another hint- find some plastic trays that fit your cabinets, and keep all the cleaners and soaps and such in the trays. More convenient to slide tray out a little and find something in the back, and when (not if) a container leaks, they tray will catch it all.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

aemeijers wrote in news:CoSdnX7iufoW0nvXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

If you go this route just pick up a linoleum remnant. And if you wanna spend a few bucks you can get the linoleum that is made not to be glued. More likely to stay flat without adhesive.

The paper pattern works well. Put a big piece in the field than masking tape small pieces all around. Lay pattern on linoleum, trace pattern, cut with utility knife. Errrr, be sure if you trace on backside that pattern is also has bottom up!

Reply to
Red Green

On Tue 27 Oct 2009 12:09:53p, Red Green told us...

I agree with both of you, loose laid sheet vinyl would be best, but I already have the material, cannot return it, and have no other use for it.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Got a Habitat ReStore anywhere near you? They would love to have the loose tile, and usually have vinyl remnants dirt cheap.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers