I think I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway.
We have lumber scraps left over from construction. Some are pine odd
lengths, some treated pine, and a bunch of particle board.
I know NOT to burn treated lumber.
I THINK that untreated regular pine will burn fine in our backyard fire pit.
What about particle board? I know it has glues in it, and think it probably
should go to the landfill, but thought I'd ask youse guys.
Yes, I asked, and I think you were incapable of giving a short answer that
covered the simple questions asked. I think you had to delve into your
overeducated brain and begin a dissertation on the subject.
Next time, just keep it simple and answer the questions.
BTW, would contact caused by a running leap be equal to inhaling the vapors
of the burning particle board? Just wondering, so I thought I'd ask Mr.
Know It All.
Not clueless. I'm a retired chemist. If wood is typically bound with
phenol resins, there is no harm in burning and combustion products are
no worse than burning pure wood. If it contains preservatives such as
arsenicals or chlorinated compounds or flame retardants of a similar
nature, it is best land filled.
OP and some respondents are not addressing issue.
I don't think that's at all what Frank said or intended -- the point is
what the chemistry is and what are the _actual_ combustion byproducts
produced rather than simply knee-jerk reaction of "bad".
"Completely burned" is the key here. In an open fire, will
phenol formaldehyde resin _completely_ burn, or will significant
quantities of outgas "escape" without burning. Certainly, in a
contained/controlled high temperature furnace, it'll only emit
CO2 and water. But an open fire is _very_ different.
Most locally available softwoods (especially pine) are essentially
entirely non-toxic. You can eat it - you can't digest it, but
it won't poison you. Phenols and formaldehyde are toxic. Phenols
are also known to have relatively high decomposition temperatures.
Takes quite a bit to get bakelite to "properly" burn, and in open
air the burn isn't even remotely "clean".
You don't want to be near burning bakelite (particle board
is essentially wood fibers in a bakelite matrix by implication
of that link). I've encountered overheated/scorched/burned
bakelite in electrical equipment. It ain't just CO2 and water
by a long shot.
Age and Treachery will Triumph over Youth and Skill
Assuming (and you are incorrect, it does give off other vapors) it
only gives off water vapor and CO2 you must not care about the green
house effect. Both affect it.
Burning wood _in the long run_ (pay attention to that) is carbon/water
vapor neutral. If not burned it puts out the same amount when it
decays. So what is different about particle board? The great excess
amount of the binders which is not carbon neutral.
I could be wrong, but the EPA seems to agree with me.
"Never burn ocean driftwood, plywood, particle board, or any wood with glue on
or in it. They all release toxic chemicals when burned."
Snort. NEVER burn DRIFTWOOD or ANY wood with glue ON it? Oh
brother. It sure makes the EPA sound like alarmist ninnies.
If I'm ever coming down with hypotheria, I'll be sure not to burn
driftwood because the EPA says so. Never means never. :)
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.