Particle Board Repair

I have to repair an game cabinet by cutting off the bottom of the cabinet sides and edge joining in replacement pieces and gluing braces(pine boards) over the seams *inside* of the game cabinet.

Example:

Cabinet:
'm told the cabinet is made of "particle board":
I could find at Home Depot was Melamine covered with some sort of laminate. If I can get the laminate off of one side I was wondering if the Melamine was close enough to the original "particle board" material for my use since the repair material should expand the same way as what it is connected/glued to.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

> My Cabinet:

> I'm told the cabinet is made of "particle board":

> All I could find at Home Depot was Melamine covered with some sort of

The laminate is melamine. What it is on is particle board. It can be samded off buy why bother when you *can* buy particle board at HD. Or Lowes. Or pretty much anywhere similar.

Reply to
dadiOH

Sounds easy enough. Just by the melamine at HD and cut your cabinet across. Use biscuits to align and glue. Add a ply backing to cover above and below the seam inside , since as you suspected the particle board joint will not be that strong. Paint your stripes back on and you are done.

Or go to another HD and buy particle board. The Particle boards is definetly at HD, sold in 4x8 sheets.

If you are going to paint the sides white then stripe, just use the plywood and brace with ply. simple... wait for it to dry, spackle the seam, dry, sand then paint.

You will have to screw from the outside toward the ply. That would be str> Searcher7 wrote:

>>> My Cabinet:

>>> I'm told the cabinet is made of "particle board":

>>> All I could find at Home Depot was Melamine covered with some sort of

Reply to
tiredofspam

Use a solid board, not particle board, to replace what you cut off.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Infuse the separation with glue and clamp. Use gravity and q-tips to push it in as far as possible.

Mike > I have to repair an game cabinet by cutting off the bottom of the

> My Cabinet:

> I'm told the cabinet is made of "particle board":

> All I could find at Home Depot was Melamine covered with some sort of

Reply to
Kenefick

> My Cabinet:

> I'm told the cabinet is made of "particle board":

> All I could find at Home Depot was Melamine covered with some sort of

I think I'd be inclined to cut off the bottom straight and square, make a new patch piece to match the original size, and laminate another piece of the same material to the inside. If there is a partition above the damage I'd make the inside piece fit the entire space up to the partition. Glue and screw the patch to the carcass and backer and fill the screw head holes. It might be worth making a bevel on the outside edges of the butt joint and fill it... even auto body filler... and sand. That would hide the seam better than a raw butt joint...

There are various types of particle board and HD and other stores may not have the exact match. That said, I'm not sure it matters too much for a painted piece and expansion shouldn't be a material issue... it's not like solid wood, it doesn't really move much unless it swells from being wet and then it doesn't matter anyway.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Ok. Thanks everyone.

From what I gather plywood would work as a reparation piece and that I shouldn't worry about different expansion rates between different materials.

I can only find 5/8" thick particle board at Home Depot and Lowes anyway in the 2' x 4' size.

But I'm told hardwood boards over the seams for reinforcement would be the way to go.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Reply to
tiredofspam

Ok. So I guess it's best to use plywood for the repair and plywood to brace.