Sailing chipboard floors

What could I Seil the chipboard floors with and later down the track put tiles on top of the sealer thanks

Reply to
Tanya

You would be better of using a surfboard :-)

Reply to
Scott

I wouldn't go to sea in anything made of chipboard, and certainly not if it's a sealer. No amount of tiling will keep the Southern Ocean out and you may be a long way from a Port of Refuge.

Tim W

Reply to
TimW

Can you not get marine grade chipboard (or am I thinking of MDF)?

Reply to
Scott

Would an ironing-board do?

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

You can get moisture resistant flooring grade chipboard...

Reply to
John Rumm

A dilute coat of PVA would probably do. What are you trying to seal it against?

Reply to
John Rumm

Ply, you're thinking of ply.

There is a 100% waterproof MDF but I've never seen it for sale...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Nothing will really stop chip absorbing water if wet. And tiling does mean them being wet. Nonetheless some people do tile chipboard. But don't expect it to last long term, the amount of flexibility is too much as well as bei ng water vulnerable. I know this from experience. Tiles can last a very lon g time, but only on a rock hard bed.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

*Seig Heil?
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When sealing, drink only Canadian club, on the rocks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mines lasted 10 years plus.

Tiles ARE waterproof.

Just use flexible cement at least 4mm thick to absorb any flex

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When we went on a whale watch, I asked the guide where the harpoons were and he was less than amused.

Reply to
Scott

ROFL! :-)

Reply to
newshound

But can you sail it though?

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

+1
Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

ean them being wet. Nonetheless some people do tile chipboard. But don't ex pect it to last long term, the amount of flexibility is too much as well as being water vulnerable. I know this from experience. Tiles can last a very long time, but only on a rock hard bed.

they do. Properly laid tiles last many times longer.

Yup. But flexed grout joints develop cracks. Then if the location experienc es water it gets into the chip & swells it, with obvious results.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes that old spell checker has a lot of explaining to do! I hate chipboard myself. Wherever I have used it and had furniture or floors made from it even the slightest hint of damp or condensation has made it expand pushing off anything mounted on it. If you use it for a floor then attempt to tile it you end up a few years on with rocking tiles. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff