Making access holes in chipboard floors?

Thanks for all the help with my other questions, here's another.

When I embark on the plumbing I'll need to get access to existing pipework under the T&G chipboard flooring. In the past I've drilled off the nail heads and carefully sawn through (using a circular saw) over the joist centres but it's always left a "squeaky" area of the floor - there must be a better way, what is it? I remember seeing a widget (from Trend?) that used a router to cut a circle - are they any good? What do "real" plumbers use?

This is a fantastic group for sharing info but it's a shame the debates sometimes collapse into a series of personal attacks - although (so far) not on me ;-) hopefully this one won't go the same way.

Dave S

Reply to
Dave

The Trend Routabout. I have one and yes they are good for exactly this purpose.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'd ignore trying to cut on a joist, and simply cut out a square of the size you need with a jigsaw. Then glue and screw battens. Screw the cutout back to those.

I've not tried it since it seemed rather long winded.

Most don't give a toss about making good properly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nope. Really fast.

- Identify position and check for nails in router path.

- Fit guide bush and cutter to router

- Screw trammel to floor at centre of circle - screw is pivot

- Route in a circle. I used 4 passes with a 1/4" bit and T5 router for 22mm chipboard. Special bit bottoms out when at surface of floor

- Remove chipboard disk, insert plastic ring into hole, invert chipboard disk and place in ring

- Job done. Neatly and with no rocking of floor.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

...snipped

That Andy, it sounds good. It'd be pretty easy to make a trammel but Trend seem to have priced things so that it's not quite worth the fuss - the best price I can find for the 18mm kit (with 3 rings) is £39.24 and then £2.50/ring thereafter.

Dave S

Reply to
Dave

I'd second Andy's comments. It is indeed an excellent product and well worth the money. The other advantage is that you now have a robust, non-squeaking access hatch for future use.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

The clever bit is really in the cutter. It's stepped and has a ballrace as well so that you cut the groove precisely correctly.

If the price you have there is VAT inc. then that's pretty good.

I saw a few places at £35 exc. for the 18mm 1/4" kit

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Dave writes

Why, do you want an example of what not to do.....

Reply to
chris French

Screwfix sell a circular cutter for just this job. Don't know whether it's any good and it's expensive @£45 + £3 for covers. Produuct code D77885

John Miller

Reply to
John Miller

It's more expensive than the Trend jig, but might be interesting if one doesn't have a router but does have a reasonably hefty drill

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well this one cuts next to the joist so he can screw a batten to the joist to suport the cut-off piece of chipboard when he re-lays it. Same technique for floorboards. Of course with chipboard you also need to cut the other 2 sides of the rectangle and screw some battens to support the cut-out piece on all 4 sides, making it a bit more hassle.

However having heard Andy & others rave about the Trend kit I might get one if I have an installation to do with chipboard floors.

One gets used to spotting the alternation of Authors: Andy Hall / IMM / Andy Hall / IMM etc and skipping the rest the thread ;-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

You can also use it for floorboards as long as the depth is the same. I've done that too. The only thing is then needing to glue the pieces of removed board together to reform a disk if you go over an edge.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

(not done it but) should be easy to mostly cut a piece out with circ saw, and finish the corners with jigsaw. Glue wood strips to underside, place cutout back in hole. A few screws will secure it.

Alternatively do what youre doing but apply silicone.

Dont worry bout the insults, you'll get your share soon ;)

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton